car rental in or near Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to rent a car in Dublin this August, and return it 2 weeks later at Shannon airport. I am spending 3 days in Dublin and don't want the car until I'm ready to drive south. I'd rather not go back to the airport but I will if that's the best place for pick-up! Any help with this matter will be appreciated!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

There was a discussion on this a few days back:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1

I'm not sure which agency was being used. There are a number of rental agencies in the city center. If this is your 1st time driving on the left, getting out of the city might be a bit harrowing. It's much easier to leave Dublin than it is to come in to Dublin as all you have to do is find roads instead of a particular location.

Bill
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yeah, after taking a wrong turn and ending up in city center Dublin within the 1st hour of renting our car- I would rather bus back to the airport for pick up.

DH did not find the left driving so bad but we could NOT get out of Dublin city!. 3 people including a delivery driver could not tell us how to get where we needed to go- the streets changed too many times and the signs were so hard to find.
2 weeks later we were back without the car and while DH seemed to be able to know where we were going I just could NOT get my directional radar tuned to Dublin!

IMHO- go back to the airport and head out from there
Dawn
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Hi Daydreamer19,

I rented a car at the Dublin airport and returned it in the city. After that lovely experience I would advise that you take a cab or the bus to the airport and go from there. Once outside of the city, no worries.

Driving in the city was crazy! I was driving solo and trying to figure out how to get into the city. And when I finally got there, wound up driving in circles trying to read signs and figure out where I was and how to get where I needed to go. Finally paid a cab driver some $ to follow him to return the car.

It would have been faster to have returned it at the airport. Less stress!

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! I'm still researching car & lodging in Dublin!!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM

We are renting a car from Avis in City Centre after a 2 day stay in Dublin. We plan to take a taxi to the Avis location which is near Naas Road, the main road to Cashel/Cork/Blarney. We have been told it is not bad at all to get out of the city from there.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bluesmusic! We are headed to Wexford, I'll look into Avis!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM

I rented a car from that Avis in City Centre and headed south. It was a straight shot out of the ciy, I had not trouble at all and the staff was very helpful. Have fun.