car rental in dublin

Search

car rental in dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental in dublin

When we fly into Dublin, We are planning on spending 2 nights in Dublin and then renting a car. Is it best to go back to the airport and get it from there or is there another option? Kind of scared to drive in Dublin.
Then we intend to spend 10 days visiting ireland. Is it possible to drive from Galway to Dublin in one day and take a flight back to chicago, or should we return it the night before and spend one more night in Dublin? thanks so much
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM

We did a similar trip summer of 07. We arrived in Dublin and stayed 2 nights then rented a car. I forget which company it was but they did have an office on the outskirts of the city so we didn't have to go back to the airport. It wasn't too scary, just a 10 minute ride to the highway going south. We spent time in the south & west and then returned the car to Shannon airport. I'll try to find which company it is and get back to you.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM

As Daydreamer suggested, pick up the rental car at a west or south end location to avoid driving out of the city centre (assuming you're headed to the west or south).

Galway to Dublin is a good three hours' drive. I'm not sure I would want to do that the morning of my flight altough you can get to Dublin airport from Galway without going back into the city.

Depending on flight time out of Dublin, I would spend a nice last day in Galway then head over to Dublin late afternoon, drop the car off, and stay at an airport hotel the night before my flight.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM

If you decide to rent from or drop off at Dublin airport make sure to ask the rental car company how they handle the issue of the M50 toll. Usually it's up to the renter to take care of this.

Driving from Galway, you will have to use that bit of the Dublin by-pass motorway to get to the airport where you cannot pay by cash but must do so by web, phone, or at a payzone location until 8pm (Irish time) next day.

www.eflow.ie
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

I am confused about the toll and the pay location that you mentioned. could you explain what that is? thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM

http://eflow.ie/tolls/index.htm