Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental in Dublin Airport-prebooking necessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Ireland for 2 weeks in August. I was considering not prebooking and paying for a rental car and just checking out my options when I arrive. I'm thinking I may have more flexibility and bargaining power considering the fact that there are many car rental companies there that want my business but I'm concerned that there may not be many cars available at 11:00 in the morning on a Saturday. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Booking from home well in advance is much cheaper than booking in Europe. I recommend AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com), a consolidator that find you the best rate from among several companies. For example, in Irelnad my car came from Budget and in France it came from Europcar. If you find a better rate by contacting a company yourself, AE promises to either match or beat it.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>I'm thinking I may have more flexibility and bargaining power </i>&quot;

Couldn't be farther from the truth. We are so lucky to be able to pre-book w/ sites like AutoEurope - or even from the rental agency's own sites. Walk up rates are MUCH higher. And if you need an automatic it is absolutely essential you book ahead.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM

&quot;...there are many car rental companies there that want my business...&quot; and if everyone else has pre-booked I'm not sure they are all going to want your business.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM

August is high season for tourism. I arrived in May in the afternoon and the company I booked with was out of cars (anyone sense a Seinfeld episode?). I got the last car from the company they refered me to. Book now!

Bill
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM

August is high season and in Ireland they frequently run out of cars. If you need an automatic you may have trouble reserving one even now. You will definitely get a much better price searching and reserving now.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM

It is cheaper to rent your car online and get it reserved. The rental company I used, even sent me a new invoice because they had dropped the price. So that was a nice savings there. If you can fly into Shannon Airport, you would be doing yourself a favor and a lot less hassel. Dublin Airport is horrible to get in and out of. Make sure you read and understand the &quot;roundabouts&quot; over there. It is a tough country to drive in. But you can park anyplace. Just pull up on the sidewalk and park on either side of the street. It makes no difference. Very strange. Enjoy your trip. Just be careful.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM

To add to the good advice you've been given (i.e., reserve NOW!), do you really want to spend time schlepping luggage, walking around the different counters and/or lots after arriving on a long flight, getting costs from each, trying to bargain with each, then returning--hat in hand--to the one who offered you the best deal? And if having a car is a crucial part of your vacation (and it seems it is), why in the world would you want to take a chance that you can't get a car you want (automatic, right size, diesel, etc.) on arrival? What will you do if you can't be accomodated? And what if you can only get a high end car because the cheaper cars are gone?

That doesn't sound like a great start to a vacation.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>And what if you can only get a high end car because the cheaper cars are gone?</i>&quot;

Or even worse - a nine passenger van - on narrow Irish roads.

DanaPMC: Do you see a theme here? Book now.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:17 AM

'...in Ireland they frequently run out of cars'

my favourite.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:32 AM

A good tip is if you book a car you can just about fit in then you can upgrade often for very little.I have done this several times in Ireland.Usually works but make sure you do book something...They are often booked up in all rental companies esp in mid size and smaller cars.Have upgraded lots .
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your input. I will definitely prebook. My husband grew up in Ireland so I leave the driving to him. There's no way I want any part of having to drive on the other side of the road-especially with all of those round-a-bouts. It's an accident just waiting to happen.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM

pontoon -

This is perfectly true. My plans changed after a business trip 2 years ago and with 48 hours notice there were NO cars available to rent in Dublin - from any company at any price. (Even had the hotel concierge try for me - there was nothing available for at least a week).