car hire in italy

Feb 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

car hire in italy

Can anyone tell me the name or web site of a good (yet affordable) hire car company for Italy and France? We need to accomodate a family and luggage and it will be a one way hire. I had thought Leasing was a possibility but I have not done that before and am a little wary. I don't know if the time of year matters but we are going in sept/Oct. thanks
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM

Autoeurope. If you have access to a toll free number for them, use it rather than the web site.
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM

Ron........I am very curious as to why you would contact Autoeurope by phone rather than through their web site. I am in the process of setting up a rental in Italy in May.
Thanks!
Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
ira

Hi H,

www.autoeurope.com
www.novacarhire.com
www.gemut.com

A one-way hire is going to have a large drop off fee.

You might be able to arrange a car rental in one country, dropoff at the border and car hire in the other country.

Call Autoeurope at 1-888-223-5555

You will need an International Driver's Permit for Italy. See www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
ira

Hi Hal,

It's better to call because
a. It costs nothing
b. You can talk to a person who can give you info that you don't get on the website
c. You can often get lower rates

Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM

On our last trip to UK in 2000 we leased a brand new Renault , delivered to London for us by Renault fpr 5 week period- no hassle, great value.
We are going to France & Italy for 7 weeks October/Nov 2007 and are again leasing a Peagout 207 for lot less $ then what car hire would be, even after allowing for drop off fee at Rome-in australia, all the french companies have promotion specials if you book & pay by 31/3/07- eg.extra 7 days free and 50% drop off fee reduction.Hope this helps