Ireland - Sample 10 day Itineraries

Feb 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Ireland - Sample 10 day Itineraries

I apologize for th repost, it was suggested I repost with Ireland on the subject. Here are two initial ideas of our travel itinerary to Ireland. Thought

Fri 6 Arrive Dublin, stay 3 nights
Mon 9 Apr Leave Dublin visit Powerscourt and Glendalough, (maybe stop at Kilkerny Castle?), drive to Cachel and find some place cute to stay the night.
Tue 10 Apr Visit Cachel and Cahir, drive to and visit Blarney Castle (got to kiss the rock), (maybe drive to Kinsale), drive to to Kenmare.
Wed 11 Apr Take the Ring of Kerry drive, return to Kenmare
Thu 12 Apr Drive the Dingle Penninsula and stay in Adare or Ennis.
Fri 13 Apr Go to the Cliffs of Maher, Burren return to Adare or Ennis
Sat 14 Apr, Return to Dublin
Sun 15 Apr, Leave

We are contemplating skipping the Ring of Kerry. In some ways, maybe we shouldn't miss it, but otherwise, I am nervous that it will be too touristy and too many tour busses, not enough time in one day to do the ring properly, and maybe our itinerary is too stretched so maybe just stay around
Kilarney/Kenmare instead. EIther way, want to see Muchross House, etc in there.

Second Itinerary, is basically leave Dublin immediately on Friday the 6th, and stay at Glendalough Fridy night, then try to do Cahir/Cachel/Blarney on Saturday. Then one extra day in Kenmare, return on Thursday night to Dublin, so only 2 days in Dublin.
But we are nervous because if our luggage doesn't arrive, then we may be stuck and worried about traveling on Easter as well.

Thanks for you ideas in advance,
Chris
Feb 20th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Hi Chris:

Well, you are landing on Good Friday meaning you won't be able to find a pint anywhere. Many if not most of the sites in Dublin will be shut down (to my knowledge at least). What will be open is the scenery which would lead me to suggest getting out of Dublin first. You will want to book your rooms right away and it may be a bit difficult in smaller towns to find places to eat on Good Friday. You might want to book a hotel room (instead of a B&B) for that night somewhere. You'll have an easier time finding food.

Kilkenny (not Kilkerny) is a great city (small) and worth a visit. I have no idea how impressive the gardens will be (Powerscourt for instance) at that time of year. Glendalough is beautiful any time.

You can't possibly do The Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Blarney Castle and Kinsale and then head to Kenmare in one day. It's a darn shame that you have to kiss the rock because Blarney Castle is not particularly interesting though the gardens are lovely (but perhaps not at that time of year). Cahir Castle is much more interesting. If It were me, I'd do the Rock, Cahir Castle and then head to Kenmare. That would be a very full day.

There is nothing about the Ring of Kerry that is touristy other than meeting tour buses. I suggest going clockwise from Kenmare. If you get good weather, consider a trip to the Skelligs from Portmagee. It will require an early start from Kenmare but the payoff will be extraordinary. This is one of the most impressive sites in Ireland.

Even if you just do the ring, follow the R567 (just past Waterville) east and do the Skellig Ring. At Portmagee, take the bridge out to Valentia. By the time you get back to the main road, most of the tour buses will have passed going counter clockwise. An early start here is good. Most important, get out of the car, don't just drive. Other options in the area would be the Gap of Dunloe tour which is a full day outside (good weather is very important here) which involves either a walk or jaunting car ride over the gap and then a boat ride through the lakes to get back. Be sure that you have rain gear for any of these sort of things. A third oprion is to cut through the misddle of the Ring. Ballaghbeama Gap south of Lough Caragh is a wonderful area and it is unlikely you'll see more than a few other people on most of the road. Follow the little road north off the R568 between Molls Gap and Sneem.

Dingle is worth an entire day. The west of the peninsula is stunning and though compact, can take most of the day. The less visited north side of the peninsula has Ireland's longest beach and a great place for a stroll as the sunsets over Brandon Point. If you add a day, add it to Dingle.

I wouldn't stay in Adare to see the Cliffs. It's a cute town to drive through but but not a lot more to offer. Ennis has got some great music offerings. Doolin would be another choice and in April, won't be mobbed.

Don't worry about your luggage. It will find you if it gets lost which is a fairly low percentage of the time. If you have tight connections somewhere, it increases the chance. We had it happen to a friend on a group trip and the luggage eventually caught us even though our second night was on an island and the ferry shut down because of weather. Don't plan your trip around the chance of lost luggage.

Bill
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

If you are really worried about lost luggage, carry on all of your luggage. For a 10 day trip, you shouldn't have any problem fitting all of your clothes in a small carry on per person and then you will just need to buy the small sized toiletry containers because of the liquids rule. On one of the days (probably when you are in Kenmare, since you are staying there two nights), drop your dirty laundry off at a laundromat and then pick it up the next day. We dropped our laundry off in Donegal Town and picked it up the next day and it cost us about 30E for all of our clothes (2 of us traveling) --- which we thought was quite reasonable considering that we didn't have to worry about checking luggage, etc.

There are LOTS of packing tips on this site and if you do a search, you should be able to find some good ideas.
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Also, though there are a lot of fun things to see in Dublin, I would suggest staying 2 nights there and then visiting Dublin again when you return to Ireland. You can definitely hit the biggest tourist attractions in Dublin in two days.
Feb 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise about Easter in Dublin. Neither of us travel light, and would rather base somewhere than constantly stay somewhere else. So here is our revised, hopefully a bit slower paced itinerary:
Apr 6 - Arrive Dumblin Rent a Car, Stay around Glendolough (Rathdum?), Visit Glendolough, maybe go back to powerscourt
Apr 7 Drive to Cashel, visit Powerscourt if didn't on previous day. Visit Rock of Cashil, Cahir Castle, find a nice place to stay around Cahir
Apr 8 Drive to Blarney, visit castle, kiss rock (is it open on Easter?, says only closed for Christmas). Travel on to Kenmare. Find a nice place around Kenmare.
Apr 9, Ring of Kerry
Apr 10 Kilarney National Forest
Apr 11 Dingle Penninsula, find a place around Tralee or Adare
Apr 12 Back to Dublin
Apr 15 Leave Home

Wondering, if maybe instead of staying in Cahir/Cashel, just travel on to Kenmare, maybe I am being too aggressive again Any recommendations for places to stay. I saw some posts for Kenmare but feel free to give suggestions.

Thanks again
Chris
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM

Yes, you are probably being to aggresive trying to get to Kenmare and still fitting in Cashel and Cahir. Slow down I say.

You can also stay in Laragh for Glendalough. There are a number of B&Bs in the area though I currently don't have a personal recommendation.

Kenmre choices: Shelbourne Lodge, Virginia's The Lodge in Kenmare all get nice reviews. Driftwood is starting to get some attention too.

If one choice is Tralee, stay in Castlegregory instead and book a night at The Shores. It's only about 30 minutes from Tralee and the location is wonderful. Great B&B.

Book your Dublin rooms as soon as possible. The city fills up on the weekends. I've stayed at the Pembroke Townhouse in Ballsbridge which I liked. It's in a quiet neighborhood and about a 15-20 walk to the city center. I think you get a little more value for the money and a quieter location staying in Ballsbridge.

Bill
Feb 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM

Chris,

On the 7th - You could drive to Cashel in the morning, then drive to Blarney Castle in the afternoon - then drive to Killarney for the night. It's really doable. I did it. Hectic day but you get to see a lot. Then you do Ring of Kerry on the 8th and stay in Killarney again. Drive to Dingle on the 9th. I would stay in Dingle b/c it is just fantastic. One of the best towns in Ireland IMO.

Then drive the Connor pass and go to Ennis as in your original itinerary. Stay the night in Ennis on the 10th. On the 11th drive to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

Here is what I would do next which you left out. Go to the best city in Ireland - Galway. It's only about 1 1/2 hours from the Burren. Stay there the nights of the 11th and 12th. Then go to Dublin for 2 more nights. You can even take the train to Dublin right from Galway. You can return your car right in Galway.
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM

This sort of tight scheduling seems to me to be a type of madness. What if you see something that you like or that intrigues you? Pass by because it is not on the programme and you don't have the time?

On this forum we generally discuss recreational travel rather than work.
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM

Myself - I would plan to do a bunch of things and not make any hotel reservations. Then set off. If you don't like something keep driving - if you do stop for a night or two. But its good to have an idea of what is even doable before you go.

I think when you plan a night here, 2 nights there etc. you have plenty of room for flexibility. Unless of course you need to book all of your hotels.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM

Naplo999, I am the opposite of you. I like reservations for accomodations every single night. To allow for some spontaneity, we get a car and allow 3 nights per stop...with a car you can take a day-trip wherever you like. We always stop in an area where there is plenty to do.

Chris Monica, may I suggest our solution to the rings: I was choosing between the Ring of Kerry, the Ring of Dingle (Dingle Peninsula) and the Ring of Beara! I decided that one of those rings would be enough for our first trip. We were very very happy with the Ring of Dingle. (Next trip perhaps we will do one of the other rings.)

Have fun!
Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:23 PM

In my opinion it sounds like you might be taking on a little more than you'll want to. I've made the mistake of planning too much to do on a 7 day trip to Ireland and you end up feeling like you're constantly moving from place to place and always in the car. I went from Cashel and Cahir into Blarney and some other side trips in one day and I bit off way more than I could chew and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Also going from Killarney to Dingle and driving the peninsula and then staying in Tralee is very ambitious in one day, you really should take your time and at least spend one night in Dingle. Have a great trip!
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

I did a trip similar to this last summer. I think your itinerary is over-ambitious. It takes AGES to get anywhere in Ireland!

My trip was like this:

Day 1: Belfast to Dublin, Dublin to Avoca. Then camped in Roundwood, Co. Wicklow.

Day 2: Visited Glendalough. Drove toward Kilkenny. Stayed in Cahir.

Day 3: Toured Kilkenny Castle. Drove toward Cashel. Visited Cashel. Drove toward Blarney. Camped at Blarney.

Day 4: Visited Blarney Castle. Lovely gardens. Left Blarney. Terrible traffic in Cork (construction). Went to Kinsale. Visited Kinsale, camped near Clonakilty.

Day 5: Return to Kinsale for lunch at Fishy Fish Cafe. Toured Imperial Wine Museum. Camped in Bantry.

Day 6: Drove toward Glengariff, then to Kenmare. Lunch in Kenmare. Drove to Killarney. Camped in Killarney.

Day 7: Visited Muckross. Drove the Ring of Kerry. Very pretty. Had good weather. Abandoned campsite in Killarney for much prettier, best-ever campsite in Cahersiveen.

Day 8: Left Cahersiveen, headed back to Killarney en route to Tralee, Limerick. Lunched in Adare, where I left my keys dangling from the passenger side door lock. Returned 45 minutes later and found keys still in door. Then visited Clonmacnoise. Through Co. Cavan to Co. Fermanagh. A long day driving. Spent last night in Enniskillen.

Day 9: Toured Castle Coole in Enniskillen. Gorgeous. Drove back to Belfast.

Now, I don't exactly race around, but I covered a lot less ground in 9 days than you are proposing to do in 10. My trip didn't include Dublin at all, for example. I will go to Dingle, Doolin, and the Burren on another trip. Galway also.

There is good advice from other posters. You can always go back!

Oh, get one of the Heritage cards at the first museum you visit. Excellent value for money. €22 I think. Used mine at Glendalough, Kilkenny Castle, Cashel, Muckross (?), Clonmacnoise, Imperial Wine Museum, and a few other places I can't recall.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM

If it were me I'd do Dublin first. I'd arrive in Dublin on April 6th, Good Friday, and stay in the city until Easter Sunday. Many of the local pubs and restaurants will be closed in the smaller towns, as people will be spending their time in church and with families.

I'd head out to Powerscourt and Glendalough first thing Monday morning.
I'd skip the Ring of Kerry and just visit Dingle. It's one of my favorite places in Ireland. We love the Greenmont House. Then the Connor Pass and on to see the Cliffs of Moher and on to Galway.