Car rental savings

Search

Car rental savings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental savings

I tried to post this message a minute ago and somehow it failed to post. Forgive me if it magically appears from the initial posting. Husband and I are going to Italy in late April. We are renting a car for about 10 days. I compared the price of renting an economy car on the Hertz.com website with the price of renting the same car on the Hertz.it website. Using the Hertz.it website saved me 120 euros. The Hertz.it website is in Italian. I speak some Italian. It was easy to follow. I then compared it with the English information on Hertz.com and it was virtually the same so even if you don't speak Italian you could probably use the English website to figure out how to fill out the information on Hertz.it. Lastly, I compared the Hertz.it rate with Autoeurope. The Autoeurope rate was better than Hertz.com, but I still saved $100 usd using Hertz.it
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
This is not at all unusual. It is always good to try different national websites of the same international company -- price differences can be quite amazing, as they were in this case.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Would you please post the website address for Hertz.it?

I tried using Hertz.it but it comes up with an empty page.

Thanks,
lydia
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.hertz.it/rentacar/index....OnHomepage.jsp

You might need to clear your cookies -
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks Janis.

My only question is this, the website asks for your Place of Residence, if you claim Italy, can you be denied the car since your residence is not Italy but is the USA?

Wow, that was a mouthful!

Lydia
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Did you factor in the 8% AAA discount you can get from AutoEurope? (ask if they have any other discounts) Also, if you pay in Euros you will pay an additional 1 to 3% foreign transaction fee. With AutoEurope you can pay the entire thing in dollars (if you are from the US).

Also, if you have a problem (accident, strange add-on fees), you will deal with an Italian company if you use Hertz (either .it or .com), and AutoEurope in Portland Maine if you rent through them. Twice I tried to protest an erroneous add-on (gas) with the European Hertz/Avis (don't remember which one) and got nowhere - they told me the price of gas was high in Europe (I returned the car with a full tank & had receipts to prove it). This has happened to me several times when renting through AutoEurope, and they always resolved things in my favor.

Also, make sure you are comparing apples to apples on Insurance. (0 deductible)

Personally, I would pay AutoEurope an additional $100 just so I could use them as advocates if any problems arise.

No - I don't have any connection to AutoEurope - I'm in California & they are in Maine.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Thanks, Stu, for the reminder about being pennywise and pound foolish and to check all the inclusions and exclusions.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM

The problem with AutoEurope is there is a 3 day minimum for the two cities I have checked--Florence and Siena. I just want one day. Any suggestions for the cheapest way to rent for just one day?

Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM
ira

HI Connie,

Try www.novacarhire.com