Capri in Early October?

Search

Capri in Early October?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri in Early October?

My husband is going to meet me in Naples and we thought of spending 4-5 nights there. And then because we already live in NYC, it might be nice to find some time somewhere quieter 2 nights that is more pastoral. Was thinking of Capri off-season or open to other places to hike near Naples. First week of October.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 01:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We visited Capri the last week of September. The weather was beautiful. However, it was not off season there. It was very crowded upon arrival by ferry but once we arrived at our hotel away from the throngs of tourists, it was beautiful. We stayed between Giardini Agosto and Punta Tragara, pedestrian paths only.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first week of October isn't off season either... but I wouldn't hesitate to go. In the evening, it's much quieter, esp. if you stay away from Capri Town and Anacapri.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 05:03 PM

Pastoral does not fit Capri, but it is beautiful. From being there during the day, when it is quite busy, I think nights would be magical.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by RubyTwins
My husband is going to meet me in Naples and we thought of spending 4-5 nights there. And then because we already live in NYC, it might be nice to find some time somewhere quieter 2 nights that is more pastoral. Was thinking of Capri off-season or open to other places to hike near Naples. First week of October.
Capri is great in October, no tourists, the weather is always nice and mild. But if you want to go hiking, you absolutely have to follow the paths of God. Difficult trek, but the view is memorable.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by olivierbourgeois5276
Capri is great in October, no tourists, the weather is always nice and mild. But if you want to go hiking, you absolutely have to follow the paths of God. Difficult trek, but the view is memorable.
In my experience, early October is still very busy with tourists. We we’re in Capri around the 2nd week of October in 2019 (prepandemic) and it was hopping. The day trippers were there in hordes. By evening, it quieted down, but it was by no means lacking in tourists.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:39 AM

We visited Capri in mid October a few years back. It was still quite busy, but staying a couple of nights should let you appreciate its paths. Most of those tourists don’t walk far at all; we had Tiberius’ villa almost to ourselves, for example.

Atrani or Minori, with a walk up to Ravello, would in my mind fill two nights and a day more pleasantly than trying to fit in the Path of the Gods (unless you have the money for a private driver drop off at the Bomerano trailhead).

However, for pastoral relaxation, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Ischia.

Naples itself definitely worth the longer stay. The archeological museum is a highlight. If you’ve already done Pompeii and Herculaneum and aren’t planning to revisit them, another interesting day trip is the palace of Caserta, which rivals Versailles.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:51 AM

A magical place near Naples/Sorrento yet off the tourist beat is a village called Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi. Part of Massa Lubrense. Known for its great hiking trails, including a great, but exhaustive, trail down to the ocean thru the Fiord of Crappola (Temple of Apollo ruins) where a small chapel sits. (google Fiord of Crappola for some good descriptions of the trail and the remarkable views). We stayed 3 years in a row in Sant Agata as a base to explore the Amalfi Coast and the less touristy Massa Lubrense. Sant Agata is a small village but with some great restaurants and shops. There is an easy 2.5 mile trail thru numerous lemon groves directly into Sorrento. Not as easy coming back/uphill (10 minute bus return after lunch in Sorrento).
We always visited in late September, crowds were minimal-very minimal in Sant Agata itself and gorgeous weather. Easy to reach from Naples. If hiking is your objective-this area is a gem!
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by progol
In my experience, early October is still very busy with tourists. We we’re in Capri around the 2nd week of October in 2019 (prepandemic) and it was hopping. The day trippers were there in hordes. By evening, it quieted down, but it was by no means lacking in tourists.
I was there in the first week of october 2021, not so much tourist ... maybe because of COVID
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 01:27 PM

We visited Capri late September and yes, there were tourists during the day but you could limit your time in Capri town and Anacapri during those busy times. It IS magical when the daytrippers leave. We'd go back in a hearbeat.