Search

Capri Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri Hotel

Can anyone tell me how far La Minerva is (walking distance/time) from the main Piazza?

We are leaning toward this hotel, but also looking at Casa Morgano and Villa Brunella, so would like to know about these (distance from town) as well.

Most likely we will choose Minerva due to cost - and it looks beautiful and has gotten good reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM

As I remember it, La Minerva is slightly closer to the main piazzetta than Casa Morgano and Villa Brunella, which are about a 10-15 minute walk. La Minerva looked quite nice, so I'd go for it if it got good reviews!

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM
awbaker

wanderer, you and I must have similar tastes! I also booked this hotel, but I'm considering splurging on a junior suite at Caesar Augustus in Anacapri. Sorry I can't help you with the distance, but I think it is not far from Capri town center. Villa Brunella seems to be a great choice too. Have you checked out the review on La Minerva on Karen Brown's Italy B&B website?

Old May 25th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

awbaker -
That is funny...

Yes, read Karen Brown review, and she said something about it being "out of the way" which is why I wondered.

What did you decide about hotel in Positano? Did you ever hear back from Sea Urchin?
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:16 AM
awbaker

I never did hear back from Sea Urchin.

I'm leaning towards Villa Rosa or the Marincanto for the Positano hotel.

La Minerva really does sound wonderful from the reviews. And everyone says it is very close to the piazza, so I wouldn't be so concerned about that. I think you would do well by any of your 3 Capri choices -- I considered all three of them as well. If you don't think you will want a pool, then La Minerva will be a much better value.

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Capri is small and charming so distance is relative. We stayed at Villa Brunella. Initially, we were told that it was a 'bit out of the way' when we were planning our trip. Indeed, it was about a 10-15 minute walk from the main piazza...but it was a nice, interesting walk past shops, eating establishments, other hotels, gorgeous homes, (our kids especially liked petting the cats hanging around the homes) etc. and made it very charming. Although I don't know exactly where La Minerva is, I wouldn't let the distance dissuade you. It was actually nice to get away from the hordes of people to the tranquility of Villa Brunella. The only thing that dissuaded me from La Minerva was that it didn't have a pool and we travelled in July with our kids so a pool was essential. Casa Morgano looked fabulous, also small and charming, not too far from Villa Brunella on Via Tragara; we walked past it every day. I believe La Minerva is more moderately priced and as long as you are guaranteed a fabulous water view, go with La Minerva. In my opinion, it's all about the views and the personalized service and you get those things at all 3 of the hotels you mention.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Have a look at the La Minerva web site in their section for the location. Click on the little map for the closeup:

http://www.laminervacapri.com/en/location.html

It's not directly off the Piazetta but not too far. It's on the "back" side of the island, but that's not a bad thing, the best views are there. It's neither that far out of town, or right on top of it. It's not a bad location at all. Villa Brunella is down the Via Tragara and definitely further away. Casa Morgano (and don't forget La Scalinatella next door) is also on Via Tragara but right near the town end not too far from La Minerva.

These are all good places. If you want to splurge, go for the Casa Morgano. If not, by all means La Minerva.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Wanderer,
Hi I have spent many summers on Capri, la Minerva is not a trecherous walk if you're in decent shape, from the Funicular it's about 10-15 minutes uphill, depending on how fast you walk.
Villa Brunella is BEAUTIFUL and another 10 minutes or so up the hill, Casa Morango is at the very top and is very lovely, but a bit out of the way from the main pizza.
With all this said let me recommend to you my favorite hotel on Capri la Mamela, the rooms are spacious and lovely, but the real reason to stay here is the pool and couryards of the hotel.The staff is top notch, Stephina at the front desk is a cross between Isabella Rosellini and Audrey Hepburn.I wrote a trip report on Italy tilted I left my heart in Italy last Sept. if you want to read more about la Mamela.I have stayed here several times and highly recommend it.
Best of luck
Fluffy
p.s. As far as distance la Minerva and la Mamela are very close.
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:06 PM
awbaker

fluffy, did you call La Mamela for a reservation? I can't find an email address on their website, or a form to request availability.

Old May 25th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

awbaker -
We are leaning also toward Marincanto or Marimare for Positano. I like the fact that Miramare does not have all those steps, but I still can't visualize how that could be.

How long will you be staying in each location, and are you staying in other parts of Italy as well?

Did Sea Urchin every contact you regarding the Marincanto?
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
awbaker

No, in regards to Sea Urchin.

I believe that the Miramare might have a lot of steps in either direction since it is not on the street. It is the Marincanto which has a private descent to the beach (They told me it takes 3/4 minutes to descend.)

The rest of my itinerary (as of now!)
Venice - 3 nights at La Calcina
Montalcino - 3 nights at Il Giglio
Positano -- 3 nights; undecided; considering Villa Rosa, Marincanto, Miramare, Covo dei Sarceni, Buca di Bacco
Capri -- 2 nights; undecided; La Minerva, Casa Morgano, La Mamela or Caesar Augustus;
Rome -- 3 nights at Exedra; we had considered Hotel Santa Maria or Relais Banchi Vecchi, but then I found a fantastic deal at the Exedra. 209 euro for a superior room or an upgrade if available, including welcome cocktail, breakfast every day & one dinner.

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

awbaker -
Nice trip! I had never heard of Exedra before, but it looks beautiful. What part of Rome is that in?

Is this a honeymoon trip? This will be our first trip to Italy. I had wanted to spend a few days in Rome, but my husband wants a "restful" trip, so I think it will be just Capri and Positano.

Please do a trip report when you return! Venice and Tuscany are next on my list to visit. Then Chianti region, then....
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Wanderer,
I just wanted to comment on your impression about the Miramare not having lots of steps. We stayed there last September. It is in a lovely position right in the middle of the town, right in the middle of the staircase/street, with almost two hundred steps in both directions. You walk down the steps to get to the beach or to the restaurants and shops, then UP, UP, Up the steps to get back to your room. It was a very steep climb. We are young and in reasonably good shape, and had to stop and rest on the way back to the hotel! Same thing to get to the street level- two hundred steps up to the street (this is where you are dropped off and picked up upon arrival and departure- be SURE to have the Miramare send someone up to help with your luggage). Some of the other hotels, like the Sirenuse, have frontage on the street level so you can drive right up to them, but then you go down all the steps for the beach and shopping. Anyway, I do think one needs to be reasonably fit to manage the stairs to and from the Miramare. If you are, it is hard to find a better view, and it is very quiet because there are only steps around it and no street traffic. I hope this helps.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

europhile -
Thanks - I mis-typed. I meant to type that I read the Marincanto does not have alot of steps.

Please explain to me how this is. How can some hotels have steps up and down and others just down. Is it just that some hotels are higher up?
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Awbaker,
You can get the email address for la Mamela at www.caprionline.it if you can't find it there please feel free to email me at [email protected] I have it written down at home.I am being a bad girl and searching this site from work.
I think that web site should help, best of luck
Fluff
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:23 PM
awbaker

The Exedra is located at the Piazza della Republica, not far from the Termini, and a block or so from the St. Regis. Maybe you'll still be able to convince your husband to spend a couple nights in Rome.

This is not a honeymoon trip, but we will be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary while in Italy. It is, however, our first time to Italy. We thought we would try to see several places, and then spend more time at the places we enjoyed most on a subsequent trip with our two young boys.

Good luck with your planning! Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to discuss more trip details.

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Wanderer-
Think of Positano as spilling down a cliffside, with access to the town from the road that runs along the top of the cliff. That's why you can drive right up to hotels which are located at the very top of the town (because this is where the access road is), while you have to walk down stairs to get to hotels in the middle or near the bottom of the town (where the beach is). Many hotels that you can drive up to have several levels below the street level, so you walk down steps to get to your room, or to get down the the beach, restaurants, etc. I hope that helps. I don't know anything specifically about Marincanto. I'm not sure exactly where that it.