Capadoccia to Pamukkale Itinerary Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 3 week trip to Turkey next year. After 4 nights (is this too long?) in Capadoccia we will be heading to Pamukkale. I realize we need to break up the drive and I had considered stopping overnight in Egridir but I read several postings saying it wasn't worth the stop. I also read several postings saying Konya was worth a stop. Would we be better off driving to Konya and spending the night (what is drive time?)then driving on to Pamukkale the next day (instead of stopping in Egridir)? If so, how long a drive would it be from Konya to Pamukkale? Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:36 AM

Cavegirl, I, too, am in the early stages of planning a trip to Turkey for 2007. How did you get the courage to drive?? Driving would so simplify travel but I think we'll use trains and buses.
Jane
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Hi Cavergirl and JaneB,
Driving from Cappadocia to South is easy and fun, plus gives you the freedom. Stopping in Konya mostly is not worth if you take off early in the morning from cappadocia you are there in 2 hours 15 minutes or 2,5 hours at maximum. If you are heading further about 4 hours more or such you can easly do that without overnight. Train routes are limited so other option is busses. Allow at least 3 nights at Cappadocia. 4 is better

Should you need any further information please ask.
Happy travelling,

Greets from Cappadocia
Murat
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Compared to anywhere else we've driven in Europe (which is most countries) Turkey was by far the easiest. Why? Because roads were all well marked, in good condition, and almost devoid of traffic. We did not drive in Istanbul or any major cities, but even Konya, Antalya, and Kusadasi driving were a breeze.

We left Cappadocia (Ugrup) in the mornig but stopped at Ihlara Valley for a nice little hike and a great lunch before going on to Konya to arrive early afternoon.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:00 AM

Neopatrick, where did you pick up and return your car rental?
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

JaneB - I talked to several people and they all said the same thing these other responders are saying, that driving is easy and safe in Turkey. When we started travelling to Europe 25 years ago, we did busses, trains, etc and just found that so limiting. So much time is wasted waiting around and you are limited in where you go by the routes of public transportation. We are flying from Istanbul to Kayseri and picking up our rental car there then dropping it off at Antalya and flying back to Istanbul.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM

Thanks, cavergirl and Murat. I'll think more about driving. I never could find a web site with bus schedules other than those leaving Istanbul and the trains either don't go to the right places or travel at night (which we avoid).
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM

We picked up our car in Keyseri and returned it about 2 weeks later in Kusadasi, after driving to Ugrup, Konya, Egridir, Antalya, Dalyan, Bodrum, and Marmaris.