Search

turkey dec 10

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turkey dec 10

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning for my trip in december.I believe the weather will be extremely cold but this is the only time that i have. i will be travelling for 11 days with my family which includes 2 girls aged 9. All i know now is that i plan to spend 5 days in istanbul which include daytrip to Iznik if its possible.I am currently thinking of forgoing Capadoccia for this trip. is it worth the miss. i would like to visit ephesus and as many ancient sites as possible without having to spend more than 2-3 hours for time travelling. It seems that i can only restrict myself to western part of turkey.So can you help me construct a meaningful itenerary for 6 days.The names like pergamon, assos. kas, heraklios,pamukkale is in our list.thanks..
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
it is probably a good idea to leave cappadocia out of this itinerary because of the weather, if nothing else.

I can see that you have done a lot of homework.

Visiting assos and Pergamom may also have to wait for your next trip, because they will invariably require driving or bus from Istanbul, taking about 5-6 hours.

There is so much to see further South that you will not regret passing these places by.

Here's a sample itinerary:

- morning flight to Izmir ADB airport. pick rental car.
- visit ephesus, selcuk museum, saint John's basilica.
- o/n at Selcuk.
- drive to Aphrodisias 2.5 hours plus one hour sightseeing
- continue to Pamukkale/Hieropolis
- o/n at Pamukkale.
- Drive Pamukkale to Fethiye via Cavdir.
- o/n at Fethiye
- Drive to Pinara, Xanthos, Letoonia, Patara and Kas
- o/n at kas
- Drive to Demre, visit santa Claus church and Myra,continue
to finike or Kumluca.
- o/n at Finike or Kumluca
- drive to Olympos, chimera, Phaeselis and to Antalya
- o/n at Antalya if you have the next day to visit Perge, aspendos and Side. Otherwise, take evening flight back to Istanbul.

this is not as tiring as it seems, although the locations will get mixed up in your memories. You may prefer to leave Olympos, Chimera and Antalya out and spend additional nights at Fethiye or Kas, flying back to istanbul from Dalaman airport.

If you wish to spend time on your photography, leaving out some sites will also make sense.

Here's the link to our very recent trip report to the area:
http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...et-lykians.cfm
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM

How many Roman ruins will your two girls want to see?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM

I would still include Cappadocia, when are you coming back next time? Besides weather is unpredictable anyway, yes it will be cold but you may be getting sunny and clear days as well.
Hope you include Cappadocia to your itinerary.

Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM

What is "extremely cold"? How cold does the areas tourists visit get?
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

otherchelebi - i was hoping you would help me out and you did.your suggestion sounds perfect. now i just need to plan on the istanbul part.

michael - actually its me who wants to see the ruins and i've never been to turkey and never seen any before. so my feeling says as many as i can.

michel paris - extremely cold means me coming from UAE not used to the weather.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM

Harid, I wish you warm weather then!
What are the temperatures in these areas?
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you harid,

If you need any info on the Iznik day or anything outside the standard in istanbul ask again.

Just in case you are not lucky, i hope you will have a weatherproof camera.

You will need a KGS motorway toll card to take the airport-Selcuk and Selcuk-Aydin motorways. ask the rental card agency to supply you with one with some credit on it (or an OGS device)

speed limits: 90km/hr on standard highways
110km/hr on divided highways
120km/hr on motorways
all with 10% margin.

the days will be very short, and dusk rather long. so always drive with headlights on and expect vehicles with missing tail lights.

For lunch, the restaurants at scenic places on the route will be fine. You can also ask the hotels to prepare you some sandwiches and also buy some goodies/munchies from patisseries and markets. Also buy a roll of paper towels and paper napkins.

It is a good idea to buy a soft polyester fill pillow or two in Selcuk on your first day for the children to be comfortable in the back seat. (just ask your hotel, they could even have someone bring you the pillows) Similarly, a blanket or a couple of nice soft Turkish towels would provide warmth.

A soft duffel bag which can be placed on the floor of the back seat may help transform part of the back seat to a bed for their comfort.

What an adventure for the kids. i bet they will remember this for a long time. Tell them hello from the fat smiling guy on my profile photo and my happy wife.