Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't-Miss Restaurants in Tuscany/Umbria/Rome???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone. My wife and I (and our 9 month old son) are renting a car and driving from Venice to Rome, visiting all points in between over the course of about three weeks. Does anyone have recommendations of can't-miss restaurants anywhere along the way? We'd like to plan certain day trips around food, and we're hoping to find great restaurants of all types -- in cities, in the country, inexpensive, fancy, hole in the wall, etc. Just any recommendations of places you think would enhance our trip. Thanks in advance!

David
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Hi David--

We did the Venice to Rome trip last year and I envy you! We ate at many great places but one in Tuscany really stood out. I've listed a review I found before we went, along with directions. It's worth the trip and definitely stop in Greve if you decide to travel that way. It's a great little town and has the oldest butcher shop in Italy for nice snacks along the road. Have fun!

Osteria di Passignano
Italian, EUR16 to EUR22, Greve in Chianti
Sophisticated country dining may not get better than this. A tiny sampling (in one case, a sformatino di pecorino di fosso, or flan made with aged pecorino) deliciously whets the appetite for what's to come. The kitchen team, a group of chefs all under 30, can do traditional as well as whimsical Tuscan -- and then divine things such as the maccheroni del Martelli al ragù bianco di agnelli e carciofi morellini (pasta with a lamb and artichoke sauce), which really isn't Tuscan at all. The wine list is unbeatable, as is the service. AE, DC, MC, V. Closed Sun., Jan. 7-Feb. 1, and 15 days in Aug.
Address: Via Passignano 33, Località Badia a Passignano, Greve in Chianti, Italy
Phone: 055/8011278 http://www.osteriadipassignano.com/

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Please tell us the route you will be taking..sounds like a great plan! Have you looked at the SlowFood Italy site? I find them to be invaluable when planning meals. You might also like to read the very long thread below, where you will find some great advice nestled within all the talk...:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34895007
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM

Sorry I'm posting so late to this...hope it helps!
In Chianti, near Greve, we LOVE the restaurant Ristoro di Lamole, in Lamole. It's up a huge, winding hill with great views. The food is WONDERFUL! Best meal we had in the Chianti region. Expensive but wonderful. (Expensive being about $60/person including wine, apps, main dish and dessert.) In Rome, our favorite is Nino in the area near the Spanish Steps. Excellent food and child friendly, believe it or not!
Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM

We too loved Lamole - go at sunset - here is some more info and a link to the website.

Ristoro di Lamole, Greve in Chianti?Although off the beaten path (in this case the SS222), this place is worth the effort to find down a narrow, winding road lined with olive trees and vineyards. The view from the outdoor terrace is divine, as is the simple, exquisitely prepared Tuscan cuisine. Start with the bruschetta drizzled with olive oil or the sublime verdure sott'olio (vegetables marinated in oil) before moving on to any of the fine secondi. The kitchen has a way with coniglio (rabbit); don't pass it up if it's on the menu. Off SS222, Lamole in Chianti. 055/8547050

http://www.ristorodilamole.it/eng_index.htm
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Stealing from my 2005 trip report:

"It was a little before noon, and the Ristoro di Lamole (with incredible views out onto the Tuscan countryside) was only open for drinks until 12:30.

... we sat (outside) on the patio (it was gorgeous. Restaurant opens at 12:30 for lunch).

Every dish was fantastic: Ribollita toscano, gnocchi with roasted tomatoes and olives, a pecorino ravioli with the freshest pears ever (the best ravioli I had on the trip) and drizzled with Lamole Olio, a pasta with pork, zucchini and carrots and the lunch was topped off with a dessert of chocolate cake (more like a dense brownie) with whipped cream and wild berry sauce (incredible!).

This meal experience (was as close to perfect as it gets and cost about $45 - $50 apiece for us - that includes Prosecco, vino, and pretty much unlimited Limoncello - they left the bottle, but how much can you drink? hmm, on't ask).

Tracy thought it (the Lamole label) was the best olive oil we had tasted, so we bought some, and we all thought the wine divine (Lamole Riserva Chianti), so we bought some of that, too."

Ristoro di Lamole (for the food, ambiance and memories) ranks as one of our all-time favorite meals (and experiences) we have ever had in Italy (or anywhere, for that matter). It is one place Tracy and I are determined to return.

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM

Check out this gentleman's web site. He is a Brit food critic.

http://www.michelinrestaurantsguide....star-guide.asp

He seems to have eaten his way around the world, and recently.

I booked a 3* based on his comments as his San Francisco restaurant reviews were 'spot on'.

Click 'home' on his web site and you will find a lot of interesting restaurants.

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

My favorite after two weeks in Italy is in Cortona

www.osteria-del-teatro.it/index_E.html

Not fancy, just great food with a pleasant atmosphere.