Reload this Page >

Restaurants/Tuscany & Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Trish

We will be spending two weeks in Tuscany and Umbria this October, mainly in Pienza, San Gimignano, Portovenere,Montalcino and Bevagna. Would appreciate any suggestions on casual, fun, moderate restaurants for lunch/dinner. Thanks!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:11 AM
dean

San Gim I loved Il Pino. Rustic and good.<BR><BR>On the road from Poggibonsi to Castellina there is Il Pestello. Superb, very simple, great pasta, soups and grilled lamb. <BR><BR>Montalcino try the cheese and salumi available at the Fortezza Medici to eat while sipping on Brunello. Wonderful!<BR><BR>Splurge on lunch or dinner at La Chiusa in Montefollonico. <BR><BR>Bargaain food at the Rosteccheria in Buonconvento. Convienitnt for a trip to Montalcino or Monte Oliveto Maggiore.<BR><BR>Bar Orso right near Monteriggioni. Great sandwiches with superb prosciutto Toscana and other salumi.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Trish

Thank you Dean!!! Everything sounds delicious (lunch time here). I will take all this information with me. Quick question, can you enjoy all the food and wine in Italy, without gaining to many pounds?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Henry Schulte

Osteria di Porta al Cassero<BR>Via della Libert&aacute; 9 / Via Ricasoli 32, Montalcino<BR>Tel. 0577.847196<BR><BR>I see from your postings that you plan to go to Montalcino. The<BR>above osteria is about 1 block from the rocca and is a great place for<BR>lunch. Order wild boar and white beans (a typical Tuscan meal) and the house<BR>wine about $10.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Susan

We ate at the restaurant at Badia a Coltibuno in Chianti run by Loreza de Medici (or her son) twice. Had to go back again to have a fabulous lemon risotto. Also had a lovely lunch at a restaurant in Monteriggioni, but I can't remember the name. It had an outside patio which faced the town wall. It was very pretty.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:54 PM
dean

visit enough hill towns and the pounds will melt off even if you do eat a lot of gelato

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
xxxx

What is this deja vu? Between Trish and Dean? Hmmmmm.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
kam

I've never gained an ounce on a trip to Italy! First of all, they eat very healthily and portions are quite managable. Second, they drink wine, not cocktails. Third, you'll do three times as much walking as you do here at home. and Fourth they don't eat between meals--meal times run on schedule. Now, England and Ireland and those guys with their cream soups and lots of potatoes and cream and wonderful desserts is another story :~} We like the food and the beautiful view from La Cisterna Hotel in San Gimignano.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:20 AM
paul

Trish,<BR>My wife and I had a really nice meal at Octavius, right in Bevagna.<BR>Enjoy your trip.<BR>Also: check out Montefalco, which is right near Bevagna.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Dale

TRISH: We stay near Bevagna for a week spring and fall. In town, try Enoteca Piazza Onofri for true Umbrian food and wine. I also recommend a short drive to Spello. At the top of this hill town is La Bastiglia, a nice hotel with a fine kitchen. Ivan, the wine steward will steer you right. And for the dining experience of your life, try Taverna del Pescatore just off the road in the hamlet of Pigge, a "suburb" of Trevi. Watch carefully for the little signs. The outdoor, under the tent dining with a little stream and waterfall adjacent is an experience we enjoy every visit. Nearby to Bevagna and Montefalco is the Arnaldo Caprai winery that boasts probably the best Sagrantino in Umbria. Ciao e buon viaggio.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Uncle Sam

In Orvieto do not miss the Trattoria Etruscan. I would suggest the wild boar with pasta , it was outstanding!<BR><BR>US<BR><BR>And get a gelato at the gelateria across from the duomo. Friendly people and great ice cream. If you look at the duome face on, it will be to the left.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:13 AM
carly

Go to La Parata in Bagno Vignoni (10 minutes from Pienza) for lunch or dinner. The town is fabulous and there is outdoor/casual seating. Mario's in Buonconvento is also great.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:06 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Here is a list I did once--perhaps it can help some:<BR>I have never been called “ BOB THE GOURMET”. Most of the places<BR>mentioned here come from former clients. It is hard to get a bad meal in Italia, but these are among the best in Toscana.<BR>______________________________________ ___________________________<BR>TOWN NAME ADDRESS PHONE <BR>______________________________________________ _____________________________<BR><BR>FLORENCE Enotoca Pinchiorri Via Ghibellina 87 055-242777 $$$<BR><BR>FLORENCE CIBREO Via del Verocchio 8 055-2341100<BR>The trattoria behind the ristorante is half the price for the same dishes. <BR><BR>SIENA AL MANGIA Il Campo 42 0577-43996 Great location<BR><BR>SIENA CANE E GATO Via Pagliaresi 6 0577-287545 A happening !<BR>One seating per nite for a multi-course delight. Reservations a must.<BR><BR>LUCCA BUCCA DI ST. ANTONIO near San Michele My favorite !<BR><BR>LUCCA IL GIGLIO Piazza del Giglio 0583-494508 Local favorite.<BR><BR>MONTEPULCIANO LA GROTTA San Biagio Upscale Tuscan fare<BR><BR>MONTEFOLLONICO LA CHIUSA via Madonnina 88 577-669668 <BR>Call to reserve here. Small and quaint with flawless service. <BR><BR>MONTALCINO POGGIO ANTICO Five km south of town. 577-849200 <BR>Also a great winery---good place for lunch when in this area.<BR><BR>COLLE VAL D’ELSA ARNOLFO via xx Settembre 50 0577-920549 <BR>Excellent gourmet food, but expensive. Only 24 seats so call ahead.<BR><BR>CASTELLINI ANTICA TRATTORIA LA TORRE In town square--very good !<BR><BR>SAN GIMIGNANO LE VECCHIE MURA Not fancy, but good local fare.<BR> <BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Joe

It's been five years so not sure if it's still in business, but Latte di Luna in Pienza. Best roasted pork ribs I ever tasted, the gnocchi were great too. Family run establishment - mother cooked, daugther took orders, when we left they gave us a piece of milk rock to signify the moon and we even got hugs and kisses.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Betsy

Joe, happy to report that Latte di Luna was still going strong last October. My husband and I had an outstanding (and reasonable) dinner there. We walked by in the afternoon and made a reservation.