Cannes, Nice & Monaco: Restaurant Recommendations

Notices

Old Jun 17th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband and I are visiting Cannes, Nice and Monaco with our 2 (almost 3) year old. My son does pretty well in restaurants and eats a variety of things, not just typical kid menu items.

Can anyone recommend nice restaurants with good food that are friendly towards children? We don't need anything that caters to children necessarily but ones that aren't unwelcoming to children. We'd like to try local cuisine, but we're open to anything other than straight sushi restaurants. I've been looking at restaurants but can't tell their receptiveness to kids. Budget is in the range of $40-70 per person

We will be in Cannes on my husband's birthday so if anyone has a rec for somewhere special we can take a child to that would be great.

Thank you!
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Cannes I'd go for one of the beach restaurants. Ondine is nice, they do an escalope de veau that would appeal to children. It's huge, order one and share it with your son.
Da Laura is a great italian restaurant, but quite small and in a shopping street. If you're in Cannes it's nice to be on the beach.
Wether they are welcoming to children is a bit of a guess; most are absolutely fine but we've had some unfriendly waiters in the past, particularly in the summer months when it's busy. I can remember sitting down somewhere, and the waiter suggested we might prefer the pizzeria next door. Or being seated next to the toilets in a practically empty restaurant.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Nice, head to the old town (Vieux Nice) and eat at Pasta Basta. It's a small restaurant in one of the rabbit-warren of streets and has a menu of 8 or so pasta choices and then 11 or so sauces to add. Makes it fun. There's outside seating, too. Another good spot: L'Ecurie, toward the top of the rue du Marché. Varied menu; outside seating and a restroom on the main floor (unusual). On the same street are 2 make-your-own selection good chocolate shops and one or two for ice cream.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I will check these out.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Nice, ChatNoir,ChatBlanc is wonderful. Flaveur is excellent, more upscale but has a casual vibe.
For traditonal local Niçoise food, Chez LouLou is a must. Casual cafe.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, HappyTrvlr.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Nice, La Favola is great for affordable Italian food in Cours Saleya. I was there for lunch and the place was packed. Their lobster spaghetti seemed to be the most popular dish. Le Gambetta near the Liberation tram stop is great for fresh seafood that's half the price of what you'd find in Cours Saleya area. Cannes has Le Cafe, which has great lobster.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
victorinevien, why are you commenting on all these old threads? This pushes posts from travelers who have current question down on the list.
Old May 5th, 2019, 06:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
victorinevien, why are you commenting on all these old threads? This pushes posts from travelers who have current question down on the list.
Because some people find them helpful. Just because the threads are old doesn't mean that it should be buried. These places are popular destinations and people look for info on them every season so they can plan trips there. It's nice to have updated info.
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>Because some people find them helpful. Just because the threads are old doesn't mean that it should be buried. <<

Instead of topping old, out of date threads about long finished trips . . . if you have something important to say, wouldn't it be better start a thread of your own?
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj View Post
>>Because some people find them helpful. Just because the threads are old doesn't mean that it should be buried. <<

Instead of topping old, out of date threads about long finished trips . . . if you have something important to say, wouldn't it be better start a thread of your own?
That's an option. I chose to focus on existing threads so it's easier to find all the info and see all the different recs in one thread instead of having to piece things together from multiple threads.
Old May 6th, 2019, 12:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not easier to find all the info. For one thing, information on years-old threads is, well, years old, and the threads you are choosing to comment on are discussing places that come up almost daily here.
Old May 6th, 2019, 03:21 PM
mms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the added information. We had a great trip to Nice 4 years ago. Our daughter is going this summer and asked for suggestions. This thread helped and I appreciate it. The thread is less than a year old, so quite current IMO.
Old May 7th, 2019, 04:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t find a June 2018 thread that old and I appreciate the places mentioned to check out firmy upcoming trip.
Old May 7th, 2019, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>I don’t find a June 2018 thread that old <<

It isn't . . . but, the trip is over and done with so no one is helping the OP. Should we top every old thread that has any interest? The forums would be unusable. Current threads/questions get buried too easily as it is. If someone is so hot to post advice - find current topics where it might matter/help.
Old May 7th, 2019, 06:55 AM
mms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
janis--So by that reasoning a trip report wouldn't be helpful to anyone as the trip is over. Two of us have already said we appreciate the tips for upcoming trips. IMO, this is helpful.