Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Canadian applying for local working holiday visa after arrival in Europe? Possible?

Search

Canadian applying for local working holiday visa after arrival in Europe? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm a Canadian traveler in Europe researching information on applying for a working holiday visa. What makes my case different is that I'm already in Europe. I don't want to go back to Canada to apply for a WHV, I prefer to do it here in Europe. Is that possible? If so, which country allows it? I'm not entitled to apply for a WHV in every EU country, but I know the UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, etc.. accept Canadians on working holiday for a period of 12-24 months. Once I find the country that allows it, I plan to go there as a tourist, and convert my status to WHV. Hopefully then, I can stay longer in Europe.

I've been in Europe, (as a tourist for a few weeks now), and I'd like to stay longer on a WHV. I'm not a student, and don't plan to be anytime soon. I am under 30.

Thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM

i am curious as to the correct answer to this question which i assume only a consulate could answer without some risk.

but donīt bother with worrying about spain.. you need to leave your residence with the correct paperwork. this is a fact, unless you eventually are a part of the illegal immigrants getting regulated through a long, lengthy process with the help of lawyers and clergy.

one usually needs to apply for a visa in the embassy/consulate of the country you wish to work/study in in your country of residence.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM

UK rules say that you have to apply in your home country or in a country in which you are legally resident.

If you apply elsewhere then a UK embassy MIGHT allow your application but this will be on a case by case basis.

What you definitely cannot do is apply from within the UK - and it's not a good idea to travel to the UK between applying and entering the UK on the visa as they might think you are trying to abuse the process and hence deny you entry which will invariably mean you won't get the WHV or it will be withdrawn

See www.ukvisas.gov.uk and I'd recommend going to www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree for further advice
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM

<<< Once I find the country that allows it, I plan to go there as a tourist, and convert my status to WHV >>>

Like I say the UK WILL NOT allow you to do this
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I don't know about applying while in europe, but I am in Ireland now on a WHV. My advice would be to contact SWAP (student work abroad office) at www.swap.ca and see what course of action they suggest as they do the visa application on your behalf. At anyrate, they know how it all works so I would direct my questions to them. I know when I applied they needed my passport for 3 weeks and I wasn't allowed to leave the country (Canada), so I'm not sure how they could take your passport for 3 weeks while you're in europe.

best of luck!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35090653 tells you all you need to know about the OP. He keeps trying but just doesn't like the answers . . . .

Other threads are even "more so"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35109976

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35115318

He has posted similar things on Trip Advisor as sandia911
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Well based on the first post his visa expired in Feb - so he's already illegal. So - I assume he has to get home before they find and deport him - then start the process from there.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
but he has made it clear he has no intension to go home - nor to play by the rules . . . . .