UK visa holders

Apr 2nd, 2017, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

UK visa holders

Which countries allow UK visa holders to enter it?
Like for example Montenegro allows UK visa holders to enter without any special visa!
Apr 2nd, 2017, 05:20 AM

nothing to do with your visa it is all about your passport.
What country has issued that?
And which counties do you wish to specifically want to enter.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 05:32 AM

Actually ribeirasacra it is to do with the visa - Montengro allows holders of a Schengen, Irish, US or UK visa, or those with permanent residency in any of those, visa free entry for 30 days, regardless of nationality.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 05:38 AM

I hope nobody allows UK passport holders in EU.
UK voted Brexit, now they should stay away.
Or at least go to a lengthy and painful procedure like in the past to get a visa.
Ah, and costly.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 07:54 AM

bitter, WoinP? - actually so am I but I'd still like to come and visit you one day.

And so far as I know there was never a lengthy and painful visa procedure between the UK and Europe. The biggest problem was the pitifully small amount of money that we were allowed to take out of the UK - there used to be a special form in the back of the UK passport where they recorded how much currency you were taking with you; I think that the limit was £50 or the equivalent thereof, which was then raised to £100. This led at least in part to the popularity of the package holiday where you paid in sterling for all your transport, accommodation and food before you travelled, so that your currency could be spent on the thing that matters - cheap booze.

They were discussing the re-introduction of the old-style dark blue British passport this morning on the radio, but no-one mentioned the dreaded currency limits - hopefully those won't be coming back.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 08:02 AM

I hope they are not going back to the SIZE and hardness of the old passports! Would definitely not fit in my money belt.

I remember the currency restrictions, but hadn't they been lifted before the UK joined the EU?
Apr 2nd, 2017, 08:14 AM

I qualify as Wo's most hated person being a British/Dutch dual national .

It will be another eight years before I trade in my lovely burgundy EU British passport for something else, if I even bother.
Currency restrictions probably can't be a problem any more with ATMs on every corner. Taking boxes of cheap French booze back to the UK could be more of a problem, as could taking animals on holiday.

However we are getting way of topic here. The only way to know if your UK visa qualifies you for visa free travel to a particular country is to look at that country's visa rules.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM

I remember the currency restrictions, but hadn't they been lifted before the UK joined the EU?>>

I think that they had, thursdaysd, but not for that long - I can remember its still applying when my dad went abroad for business in the 1960s. But I was joking really - I can't see them trying to put that genie back in the bottle.
Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:46 AM

'bitter, WoinP? - actually so am I but I'd still like to come and visit you one day. '

Yes I am. Brits are among the people I love the most. And I am convinced Brexit was voted for the wrong reasons : these being that people vote for international topics with a very local reasoning.

So YES you are welcome Ann, I live close to Waterloo, everything is in English here : Wellington museum, Urqhuart street etc.

'I qualify as Wo's most hated person being a British/Dutch dual national .'

Nah. I am like every racist : I need to be able to say 'I have a xxx friend' In my case dutch friend would be you !
But you'd be wise to check me thoroughly... Never trust a Belgian if you are Dutch : true since 1830 and even before.

(just to be 2 min serious, I remember learning the political and economical aspects of the 'dutch domination' in Belgium after the Napoleonic wars and had to adhere with my teacher's opinion : we were really well treated and the Dutch launched a series of really good reforms and works in Belgium at the time - but shhh this message will self-destruct after reading).
Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM

Turns out I have Exchange Control stamps from as late as 1975. Then I moved to the US. Don't know what happened after that but the passport issued by the UK consulate in 1980 still has a couple of pages for the entries. The one from 1990 doesn't.
Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:33 AM

I think the Blessed Margaret abolished exchange controls sometime after 1979. But then unlike her current replacement she was in favour of joining the EU. Surprising really given her general xenophobia.

I've got dual Irish/British nationality so will be giving up the British one and only using the Irish one in future. And I am seriously considering moving to Ireland
Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:20 AM

Lucky you, mjdh1957. I have dual UK-US citizenship and have been thinking of moving back to the UK or Europe (probably France or Portugal).
Apr 3rd, 2017, 07:01 AM

< UK voted Brexit, now they should stay away. >>

I love how the continentals are anti-UK now. Of course, Woin would be a native German speaker, not French speaker, if not for the Brits . . .
Apr 3rd, 2017, 07:11 AM

"I love how the continentals are anti-UK now."

I've traveled in Europe since the mid 70's, they've always been anti-UK.
Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM

I've traveled in Europe since the mid 70's, they've always been anti-UK.>>

So have I and I have rarely encountered any antagonism towards me because of my nationality. or if I did, I didn't notice!
Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM

BigRuss - great answer. No surprise coming from you.

Who is anti brits or anti something ?
Somebody cannot say that brexit is a stupidity without automatically being anti Brit ?
By the same token I am anti US anti Turks anti Russian (but true if they are big).

And German is a nice language by the way. Now the fascists speak another language though.
Apr 3rd, 2017, 10:05 AM

>>I remember the currency restrictions, but hadn't they been lifted before the UK joined the EU?<<

They weren't really related to the European question: they were a function of the controlled exchange rates of the postwar Bretton Woods system.

Of course, there was a concern over the extent to which members of the European single market might try to manipulate the uncontrolled or floating rates that followed as a way of trying to get unfair trading advantage, which was one of the arguments for having first the ERM and then the common currency within the EU.

I'm keeping my grandfather's birth certificate in a safe place, by the way. He was born in Edinburgh. It might become important.
Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM

I'm keeping my grandfather's birth certificate in a safe place, by the way. He was born in Edinburgh. It might become important.>>

My granny was born in India. [so was my mum if it comes to that.]

will that help me?
Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:42 PM

All these guys whose families come from around the world.
We located my ancestor living about 250 kms max from where I was born in 1600 something.
Apr 3rd, 2017, 11:07 PM

"Who is anti brits or anti something ?
Somebody cannot say that brexit is a stupidity without automatically being anti Brit ? "

You chose to say "I hope nobody allows UK passport holders in EU.
UK voted Brexit, now they should stay away. "

That's not a comment about a political decision: it's an offensive remark about 60 million of us.

Are you simply incapable of telling the difference? Or just unable to remember what you said?

Either way: you're making an extraordinarily persuasive case for the Brexiteers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO