Can you get an IDP *in* Europe?

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you get an IDP *in* Europe?

I was going to get one from AAA before I left, but things got a little hectic before my trip.

Now I find myself in Italy, wanting to rent a car, knowing that I need an IDP here. A few people have said that there are affliate offices in Europe that can issue IDPs. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:49 AM

IDP means International Drivers Permit?

If so, you can rent a car without one (I did so a month ago); however it would be needed if you're involved with the police in any way...
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Hi illek, I have never heard of being able to get an IDP in Europe. I don't think that is true, but maybe I am wrong. Did the people that tell you this tell you the name or names of the affliate offices? Guess not.

I Googled the Touring Club Italiano website which is www.touringclub.it

After clicking through a few spots I found that one has to be a member (which requires an annual fee) to get a translated license.

It states that Italy requires (as they call it) an International Drivers License, we call it an Iternational Drivers Permit OR your license translated into Italian. So you could find an Italian/English translator and have this done. That would meet the legal requirement.

Some people do not worry about having this document however if you are stopped by the police or if you are involved in an accident (hopefully that will not happen) you will need to provide the documentation of your US drivers license translated into Italian. Best wishes to you.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM

You most certainly can get IDPs in Europe: but as a rule you can get them only on the basis of a licence issued by the country concerned.

But TCI offices in Italy used to (and may still) issue litle blue forms, which were a translation of licences. You couldn't use just any translator: these blue things followed the approved format. Try your nearest office

For English-language help on all this, you might also try phoning the British AA, 9-5 seven days a week on +44 161 495 8945. They're pretty used to sorting out pasperwork for visiting Australians and the like who want to drive through China, and will probably be able to advise if you can't get any help from TCI.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the information! surely with this I can figure something out!