Reload this Page >

International Drivers License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Rosemary

Is one required to drive a rental car in Italy?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:02 PM
StCirq

To drive a rental car in Italy you must either have an International Driver's License or a certified translation of your US driver's license (this assumes you are American). Note that you can RENT a car in Italy without anyone EVER mentioning this rule to you - the rental car outfits are not responsible for your knowledge of this rule). BUT if you are stopped by the police and do not have an IDL or a translation you may be subject to an on-the-spot fine. You can get an IDL from AAA for $20 - well worth it, to my mind, for the peace of mind. I have been stopped by Italian police, and they may be handsome, but they mean business when it comes to driving regulations.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Guy

Did you try a search? The topic has surfaced frequently.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Art

If stopped, you may be asked for it. By law, you are required to have a translation of your license in Italian and the cheapest way to get it is to pay $10 at AAA to get one. I always have one, and although I've never been asked for one in Western Europe, they did inspect it in Eastern Europe when I was there last year. It is such a small % of what you will spend on your trip, why take a chance.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Rosemary

Thanks all for answers.I will obtain one before my trip in May.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Bill

There is no such thing as an international drivers license. There is an International Driving Permit (IDP) which is a translation of your regular driving license into several languages. You must carry both your regular driving license and your IDP. Some countries require it, some don't, but it is always handy to have one. As pointed out above, AAA is the easiest place to get one in the USA--it takes just a few minutes.