International Drivers License

Mar 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
International Drivers License

We will be renting a car in Sicily and someone just told us that we need to get an international drivers license. We did that on our first trip to Europe about 15 years ago, but never had to show it, and never got one on subsequent trips. Can anyone tell me if we indeed do need the thing!! Thanks in advance!
tplusp is offline  
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,162
It is a legal requirement that you have one in Italy.

Rental car co probably won't ask. Some people report not being asked for one when stopped by the police and cite that as evidence that they in fact didn't need one.


It is a legal requirement that you have one in Italy.

You can stop into an AAA office, or get one by mail if there is no AAA office nearby.

J62 is online now  
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 547
In Sept/Oct 2007 while renting a car in Florence they asked everyone in the office if they had an IDP. I don't know what would have happened if anybody didn't have one because everyone did. We had to show them and our regular license when renting. For 15-20 bucks I'll always get one. I was stopped once in 2001 just to check our license I guess. THey checked it and waved us on.
2Italy is offline  
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,577
It is an International Drivers Permit (IDP) not a license. It is basically a translation of your driver's license info in several other languages. It is required in some countries in Europe to carry one (along with your driver's license) and Italy is one of those countries. I've rented cars several times in Italy and only once was I asked to show it at the rental desk. If you are stopped by the police for any reason and don't have one, you can be fined.

As J62 said, go to AAA to pick one up. You'll need a passport photo, which they can probably take care of also.
cls2paris is offline  
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,258
Hi T,

You won't need it until a policeman asks for it.

It's worth the $10.

ira is offline  
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 273
I never really thought of getting one in France as we don't need one there but this makes me think I should get one for those daytrips into Italy even if not renting the car in Italy. Is that right Ira?
lemidi is offline  
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 339
If you have an American licence then you need an IDP to drive in Italy - even if you come in from France.

If you have an EU licence then you don't need an IDP.

If you have a licence from somewhere else then you should check.
Pete_R is offline  
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 273
Pete, you answered my question. Yes I have an American license. Thank you.
lemidi is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Sep 4th, 2007 04:40 PM
Mar 18th, 2006 06:42 PM
Jul 29th, 2003 10:43 AM
Sep 24th, 2002 04:28 PM
May 10th, 2000 05:00 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:12 AM.