International Driver's License in Italy

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International Driver's License in Italy

Can anyone tell me if you need an international driver's license in Italy? I'm getting conflicting advice. We didn't need one in France, but we did need on in Spain.
We'll be traveling from Florence to a villa near Lucca and plan several day trips. We will also be using the train for some of our travel, especially from Florence or Pisa to Cinque Terre.

Thank you!
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is not a "license" -- It is an International Drivers Permit. And yes -- it is a legal requirement to drive in Italy.

The rental agency might or might not ask to see it. But if you were ever stopped you'd better have it on you. Plus -- if there is an accident and you don't have one (since it is required) your insurance would be voided.

they only cost $15 - get one . . . .
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Hello alevi, actually what you are asking about is the International Driver's Permit. And yes, per the Italian law you are required to have one.

It is merely a translation of your US driver's license (I assume you are a resident of the US). The IDP translate your US driver's license into something like 15 languages including the Italian language.

You can acquire the IDP from your local AAA office or also through them online. It is good for one year. You will need a passport type photo. The cost has risen..think it is now $20.00 but not absolutely sure about that.

You are required to carry your US drivers license and the IDP when driving in Italy. The rental car company probably will not ask to see it (but they did with us one time) but if you are stopped by the Italian law enforcement for any reason you will have to produce both documents.

Have a beautiful time in Italy.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM

God forbid there should be an accident or even a fender-bender and you'll be expected to have one.

I got one from AAA and I never needed to produce it anywhere, but have you seen those drivers??? lol Get one and enjoy!
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM

It's not a license it's a permit and YES YOU HAVE TO HAVE ONE IT'S ITALIAN LAW. Get one. Unlikely you'll need it, it's just a translation of your US license but YES get one.