One day in Paris

Oct 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

One day in Paris

Would like to get suggestions on how to spend one day in Paris. I was thinking of getting one of the fasttrack passes so I wouldnt have to stand in line and would likely go to the Louvre and Eiffel tower..(as touristy as it sounds. Since I've never been to Paris, I was hoping to get some suggestions on what else I could do in paris...any good restaurants for a vegetarian? Must visits and must avoid places? Also, what would be the best way to get to the city from the hotel...cabs? What would also be the best way to travel around the city? oh yes, I dont speak any french...
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Where is your hotel?

There is no 'fastpass' for the Eiffel; best to enjoy the views from Trocadero and/or Champ de Mars than to stand in lines (unless they aren't bad when you go).

One-day transportation pass is called the 'Mobilis' - it's around 5-6€; no photo required (zones 1-2)

"Best" from the airport is contingent on your hotel location, your budget, your adaptability, and amount of luggage. Usually a strong convenience/cost ratio.

"Must" visits are very subjective - do you like museums or outdoors or walking or gardens or what..?
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I stand corrected, already. The ticket to walk up is for 1st and 2nd levels. Here is the official website to the Eiffel tower:
http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Sorry, wrong thread!!!
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses! I am staying at the Hotel Langlois which I beleive is close to the Gustave Moreau Museum . Will have a suitcase which may be heavy so likely to take a cab...how much would that be? I am more of a people watcher/outdoor person but interested enough in the arts to want to go to the Louvre. Thanks in advance for your help..
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Taxi will be roughly 35-40€ to that side of town.

We just went to Musee Gustave Moreau in September. It's 3 levels, chock-full of his works, if you like his art.

The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, hopefully that is not your 'one day'.

Here are a couple of threads on eating as a vegetarian in Paris:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34674761
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34592424
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

The Louvre is lovely, but keep in mind that it is overwhelmingly large. If you want to see it all, or a good chunk of it at least, be aware that it could end up taking a good portion of your daym if not most of your day. If there are specific things you want to see there, I'd recommend getting your hands on a Louvre book/gallery map ahead of time, and planning out your route. That might sound funny, but it is extremely easy to get turned around in the museum, especially if it's a crowded day! I read maps very well, and I got lost several times and ended up in the antiquities wing...seriously, multiple times and I have no idea how I got there.

If you want to be outdoors in a park at all, I recommend Jarden des Tuileries...my personal favorite..it's next to the Louvre (very convenient), and near the Seine as well. Very beautiful, especially in the autumn. There are also many shops/restaurants right on Rue de Rivoli, which runs alongside the Louvre.
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Consider the guided tour at the Louvre if you decide to go there. It gets mixed reviews here, but I enjoyed my experience in January.

You can read about it on my blog here:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DA222AA
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM

My answers reflect the fact that you only have one day.

I would somehow get to the Eiffel Tower but just see it from the grass area below (don't to up). I would skip the Louve or take a brief guided tour. People spend a week there, I don't think a quick walk thru on your own will do it justice. Or pick a smaller museum like D'Orsay. I might also consider one of the guided city bus tours for an hour to get the best overview in the shortest period of time.

I would also reserve a few hours for sitting in a sidewalk cafe drinking wine, that to me is the only true Must Do for Paris.

With this short or a stay and busy of a schedule I don't think your lack of French skills will be an issue. The city of very used to tourists.
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Since you mention outdoors is the weather is nice I'd try to squeeze in a visit to Luxembourg Gardens and/or the Tuilleries.
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone...there are some great ideas here...I wish I could stay longer but will take one day over none!
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Having been to Paris a number of times, it is hard to come up with what a first-time visitor should do with one day. If I were going to be there for just one day, I would start with a continental breakfast in a sidewalk cafe (you get a much better feel for Paris than if you breakfast in your hotel); then on to Ste. Chappelle and a walk by Notre Dame. If you really want to visit the Louvre, choose 2 or 3 major works to see - traditional are the Venus di Milo, the Winged Victory (fabulous) and the Mona Lisa. Then walk through the Tuilleries (sit and people watch if it is a nice day). Cross the river and have lunch in a sidewalk cafe on the Left Bank, then go to the Musee D'Orsay to see the Impressionists on the 3rd level. From there you can walk to the Eiffel Tower if you really want to see it up close. If you still have a little time and depending on what time of year you are visiting, stop by the Musee Rodin and sit in the rose garden. It is a very full day but if you take cafe breaks in between sites, you will rest and recharge. If the weather is decent, I would walk to all of the sites you visit - it is the best way to see Paris. And don't worry if you don't see everything - this may be your first time but it probably won't be your last!
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I agree with everything mamc said - except the walking part. There are so many places to see, and they're a total of several hours apart on foot. Save the leisurely strolling for your next trip, when you have two weeks to spend savoring the atmosphere.

This time, get a Mobilis transit pass for Zones 1-2, and you will be able to sample more in your one day by getting from place to place by bus and Métro.