Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you check out this London apt. for me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had such a tough time finding an apartment for 5 that is in our price range ($300 a night tops). This one seems too good to be true because it is on special for $270 a night AND it has internet AND it's in the area we want to be. (Kensington is not too far from Hyde Park, right? I don't know London too well.) Can some of the London experts weigh in for me? Thanks!

http://www.londonguestsuites.com/tem...y.cfm?apt=1778
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM

It looks okay to me. One reason it might be cheaper is that it is ground floor. That apt. is really near High St Kensington tube stop, which is more the border of Earl's Court, I think, and more near Kensington Gardens than Hyde Park, really. I'll be honest, I don't know that area of Kensington well, I've only stayed more around Gloucester Rd and South Kensington.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM

I think this is a great location for a family. You are between South Kensington and Notting Hill neighborhoods which are both great for restaurants and small shops, Kensington Park and the Kensington Palace next door are lovely, and between Nottinghill Gate station on tube (Central, District and Circle Lines)and High Street Kensington station on tube (District and Circle Lines). Should be easy to find grocery etc. to stock apartment near. They even have one of London's three Whole Foods stores right there. We lived in London for a year last year and spent a lot of time in that area.

One note on the apartment. Lower ground means a few steps down from sidewalk level. Not exactly the basement like it would mean in the US. The video tour of the apartment looks like good size windows, etc. so looks fine to me from that aspect.

Also, you might ask for photos and/or more specific description of the size and bed arrangement of the second bedroom. There isn't any on the website and it is described as a "single" which can mean verrrrrry small in London. Although it does also have a sofa bed in the living room. Depends on how big all five of you are and how flexible your sleeping styles are.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM

There aren't any pictures of the exterior, so I had briefly wondered whether it might be ex-council housing/mansion block (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but if you were expecting a traditional Victorian/Georgian type property you might be mildly disappointed).

But then I noticed it does say basement level and patio, which suggests an older property after all. So I did a search for the address and got this:-

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/Environmental...pe_photo28.asp
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM

Hope all 5 of you are very friendly - one bathroom requires a lot of sharing.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM

It looks like the windows are below the level of the sidewalk and look out onto an areaway - possibly with trash cans in front - and perhaps a patio in back.

NYC townhouses have the same level - it was originally kitchen and servants quarters, but now those apartments are sold at very high prices. I would just be sure about security on the windows.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM

Ground floor doesn't mean the basement in the US. I just don't like ground floor apts as they are less secure and people can look right in at you, and they may be noisier. They are often considered cheaper rentals, not just where I live, but I know they are in Paris, also. Basement apts where I live are called "English basements" and are in old row houses and are about half below ground.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM

If you can get the exact address you can see the outside of your building and all the buildings up and down the street on the Google Map Street view. It is so fun.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Great feedback! Thanks for the help everyone.