Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please give me your opinion of this apartment in London

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...took a break from looking, but now am back on the trail.

Opinions please on this apartment, location, and agency:

http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l169...bqxcoepxf.aspx

We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 teens) going for 8 days in April.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM

ttt
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Seems OK for a basic, small apartment. Just realize that it is on the 3rd floor US and the LR seems to be up some additional steps. I prefer a more central location, but there are a gazillion people who stay in this area.

Just make sure you get an exact address and map how close it really is to the tube.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM

I love this neighourhood and used to live in it. It's near to two great restaurants, the Angelsea Arms and Bumpkin, plus you have loads more along Old Brompton Rd (Troubador for breakfast, Duke of Clarence for good pub food and watching sport, Noor Jahan for great Indian food). You're within easy striking distance of the Museum of Natural History, Hyde Park, the V&A and Knightsbridge and the South Ken tub station has good connections via the District and Picadilly lines. You've got good grocery stores near Gloucester Rd tube and there is a now a Waitrose local branch near South Ken station.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:04 AM

Good looking apartment and great area...I've stayed in this area a few times and enjoy it...the gloucester Rd tube is on a good line, direct from heathrow and then into centre...lots of good grocery stores within easy reach and area is peaceful after the hectic crowds in central London...I book it...
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I think this location is reasonably central -- as things go in London. And in a pleasant upscale neighborhood. Looks like a go to me.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! The agency has been very responsive to all my questions. I think we are going to book it!
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

We are home from our trip and I wanted to follow-up on a few of my queries to hopefully help others in the future.

This apt was great - exactly like it looked on the website. while definitely a rental in the sense of basic furniture and decor (I do not think someone lives here part-time), it had most everything we could want, including lots of storage space, and was spotlessly clean. The washer and dryer worked great. Our only complaint, if we have one, is that there was a funky little coffee maker rather than a drip one, but we made do.

The apt is two flights up from the street. When you walk into the apt, the master bedroom and bathroom are to the right, then you climb another flight of stairs to the second bedroom, living room, dining area, and kitchen. This is the only apt on this level, so there are windows on both ends and in both bedrooms. Both bedrooms look out to a beautiful neighborhood garden and the living room/dining area look out to the street.

The beds were very comfortable, the apt was quiet, the neighborhood was lovely, and the tube (Gloucester Rd) was only a few minutes walking. Lots of places to eat and a large Waitrose next to the tube station.

Regarding the agency: I cannot recommend them enough. A Place Like Home was easy to work with, very responsive to my emails, and went above and beyond in service, both when we arrived hours later than planned (due to flight delay and huge lines at Immigration) and when we left, and accidentally locked ourselves out with our luggage still inside, on a holiday weekend. Our deposit was returned within on week.

HTH!