Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can someone under 21 years old rent a hotel room in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 20yr old daughter is going to angers France for a week in October. Will she have trouble checking into her hotel room because of her age? I know that some hotels in U.S. require the room to be rented to someone 21. We don't speak enough French to ask the hotel. Please help!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
When I was 17, I went all over France and stayed in hotels, even those these were the days when you had to fill out a form with your passport at reception (this ended about 35 years ago). I was probably illegal at age 17, but 18 is the age of majority in France, so a 20 year old will have no problems whatsoever. In any case, you do not have to present any identity papers to get a room in France now (hence all of the automated motels in the provinces that just use a credit card machine to check in), so they never know your age anyway.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM

those these = though those
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM

No problem at all. the issue in the US is that large numbers of kids on spring break rent one room, fill it with about 8 kids and trash it. This is not a typical problem in europe.

My DD, then 19, spent 6 weeks doing europe with 2 friends and they had no problems at all. As long as your credit card is good (and you behave appropriately) no one will have a problem.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM

I think it would be wise when making the reservation that you inform the hotel that the guest will be under 21. If you book online either call them or email them to let them know. Better safe than sorry; it would be awful if she showed up and they wouldn't let her check in.

Will she have her own credit card under which the reservation will be made? If not and you make the reservation with your card, will they want to see the card at check in? Not sure, but again, ask to avoid surprises.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Yes. My daughter did it numerous times from age 18 onward. Never encountered a problem (though I will say that she was booking at a hotel that we had stayed at about 75 times in Paris and they knew me and how to get ahold of me).

But she also did it in Italy at hotels where I was totally unknown.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I think it would be wise when making the reservation that you inform the hotel that the guest will be under 21.</i>"

Not at all necessary. This is in France - a 20 year old is a full fledged/responsible adult. Of course she needs to be able to pay for the room (whether by her own credit card or cash) but her age won't be an issue.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM

The only situation in which that age could be an issue would be rental cars, and some clubs who restrict access (by their own rules, not by legal requirements) to keep younger adults out. But that can be any age the club thinks of as too young, not necessarily 21.

But for hotels or any kind of business I can think of, 18 is the relevant age, not 21.
So it can happen that if she wants to buy age-restricted goods like alcohol or tobacco at a supermarket that she will be asked for ID.

If you informed the hotel that there was a 20yo daughter on her way, I doubt that the receptionist would even understand what you were talking about.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM

ok, I stand corrected.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM

America is one of the few places yet left in the western world that views kid as kids till they are 22,, unless we are talkinng about the armed forces, then apparently they are adults at 18. Guns ok for 18 yr old, hotel rooms, no way. Odd .

Girls (Canadians) from my work travelled Europe all by their itty bitty selves, made their own reservations, and get this ,,PAID their own way( worked after schools and summers not mommy and daddy finances ) when they were 18. They had no problems and came home safe and sound.

My German neices travel independently around Germany and have since they were about 15, then are now 16 and 18.

Your daughter will have no problem at all. She is an adult in Europe.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM

You do realize you will be able to drink too right?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I don't think this is even a problem in the US, never heard of it as a general policy. I think there are some standards in resort areas where they don't want to rent a room to a bunch of kids, that's all. Otherwise, you mainly just need a credit card in the US, that's the main thing they care about. I stayed in hotels when I was under 21 in the US, and while that was a long time ago, I've never seen any "rules" when booking hotels that you can't book a room if you are age 20 (I have seen some about age 18). 20 year olds are legal adults in the US, also. I don't know where these ideas come from that you aren't an adult in the US until 22.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Linda, did your daughter ask you check this sort of event or are you investigating on your own?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Christina: "<i>I don't think this is even a problem in the US, never heard of it as a general policy. I think there are some standards in resort areas where they don't want to rent a room to a bunch of kids, that's all.</i>"

It isn't just resort areas - lots of US hotels/motels do have minimum age rules. Especially at prom time and during the summer.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM

I've seen hotels in the U.S. that say the person reserving and paying for the room must be at least age 21.

Lots of them. A recent visit to a small establishment in a tiny town in the USA had the requirement that anyone reserving a room there had to be 25 !
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM

And some hotels in the U.S. have rules against people in their own town reserving rooms. Try Asheville, NC

Really silly but true.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Whoever checks in must absolutely have the credit card with them - and it must have their signature. If she does't have her own card wth a reasonably high limit - $5000? - then get her one of yours - but with her as an apprved co-signer and her name on the back.

(My DD and her friends all had their own credit cards - we made sure multiple cards each just in case - since they live at school and run their own lives.)

And yes, there are lots of hotels in the US that won't let you register if less than 21. they just don't want the risk of parties and trashed rooms.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM

nytraveler - This is not true. I booked several European hotels and hostels for my son and his friends during their junior semester abroad (the kids liked my "travel agent" skills getting them good deals on sites like booking.com), and often his friends checked in using their own debit cards.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Nobody in France needs a credit card if they pay in cash.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 01:57 PM

1994.. Okay, I bite.. and probably ask a really stupid question.
But why would I have a problem to book a room at an Asheville motel if I was a resident of Asheville??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -