Can I wander around Rome alone?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Eve

Can I wander around Rome alone?

I have ended up going to Italy alone next year, is it safe enough to walk around Rome and Florence alone? I live in a big city where I would not walk out and about alone, so this is a legit question from me. Will I have to go to bed early every night? Thanks for your time.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Vita

Hi, Eve. I did a solo trip to Italy last year and went to Rome and Florence. Yes, you can walk around alone. Just excercise some caution. Don't walk around at night in secluded areas. There are plenty of well populated areas that you can visit and enjoy at night. Piazza Navona in Rome comes to mind. Personally, I found the Spanish Steps a meat market.

However, in gereral, I didn't stay up too late unless I was with someone. I tended to get up early and walk around. Florence, and esp. Rome, are both very chaotic and I enjoyed getting up early and watching the cities wake up. In Rome, try to get to St. Peter's very early when it opens. You'll practically have it too yourself. In Florence, go to the Ponte Vecchio and watch the sun rise.

You're going to have a great time.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Doris

Yes, you can walk around alone but please be very careful in Rome, specially in crowded areas like St.Peter Square, the Trevi Fountain & The Spanish Steps. Be aware of women with small kids and pay special attention to your purse. Any extra precaution will be worth it. Enjoy your trip...

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:55 PM
tamara

My entire purpose was to roam in Rome and it was awesome. However I agree with the cautious aspect, but that should be taken into consideration everywhere you go. For me, that was a place I had to capture alone, just make sure you can grab someone to take a picture of you to recap your memories when you get back.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:27 AM
MSB

Be careful handing other people take your picture too. My husband's co-worker handed her camera to a man and he walked off with it and waved as he turned a corner never to be seen again.