florence or rome?

Search

florence or rome?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florence or rome?

my husband and i are planning a trip to italy in april of 2006 and were wondering if one does not have the time to see both places , as we are planning to see other places as well, which one would be the best choice? i have never been to either and my husband and i have read about both and they both seem wonderful. any help /advice would be great.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Rome. But the two cities are only 1.5 hours apart by train.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Gotta agree. There's so much to see in Rome. And just to experience dwelling in a city among all those Roman ruins is amazing.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM
ira

Hi al,

How long will you have in Italy?

My preference is Florence.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Really decide what you enjoy the most: major city with incredible art and plethora of churches or smaller, more "walkable" city with incredible art and less than a plethora but enough churches. Both noisy (Rome more-Flo had pedestrian historical section) and busy. IMHO, Rome would be the choice because of St. Peters, Roman ruins, Piazza Navona and Bernini. More to see outside in Rome?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
sockboy

You say that you are planning on seeing other places as well. I would make my decision based on this. If, for example, you also want to go to Venice and Siena, then choose Florence, as it will make for a tighter itinerary.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I'm with Ira, Florence. I've been twice and am returning in November. Florence haunts my dreams!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Another vote for Rome, as much for the atmosphere of the city as for its historic and artistic attractions.

Rome is vibrant and bustling (and takes a wee bit of getting used to; I would suggest spending at least four days), while Florence is a rather placid provincial city, which tends to seem even more crowded than Rome (the streets are narrower) and hotter (the stone palazzi absorb the heat all day and they never really cool down even during the evening).

Of course, if you're absolutely mad about Renaissance art and architecture, Florence is the place to go.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM

It depends (of course). How long do you have?

If 1-3 days, then Florence (a much smaller city) makes the most sense.

If you have 4-8+ days for one city, then Rome is the obvious choice.

BTW, Central Rome has <i>some</i> busy areas and some areas that are completely pedestrianized and quite tranquil.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Roma - most definitely! The most ancient of cities with a wonderful history....as they say, all roads lead to Rome.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

hi guys, we have two weeks and are planning to see the chianti region, sienna , and probably lucca. we were thinking of spending 3 days in each area. so we only have 3 days for one of the cities. sounds like florence would be more time friendly.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
sockboy

Based on your time restraints and the other areas you are going to, I would say Florence for sure. It feels like a better fit for this trip. Save Rome for another time.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Both cities are great and each has its own character, and it would be nice if you can visit both cities. However, I suggest Rome if you can visit only one city.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Since you are going to Chianti, Siena and Lucca, I would definately suggest Florence. Save Rome for another trip when you can add the Amalfi Coast on!

But, I don't see why you need 3 days in Siena and Lucca, they're great day trips when staying in Florence...you might just have time for Rome too...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I agree with cjacob. While Lucca and Siena are both great, I personally think that three nights in each is a little excessive.

My vote would be for Rome. I absolutely love Rome and can't get enough of it. However, given your itinerary Florence may be a better fit. I think it really depends on what your tastes are.

Tracy
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM

This may start to sound like one of the introductions to a Fodors book on Rome but......If you had 10 days in Rome would you try to do a day trip to Florence? I just booked my tickets, hurray, first time to Italy and thought we should just do Rome in November for ten days. Deborah
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
cmt

Can't possibly choose for you without knowing anything about you, your preferences and quirks and your other plans. I prefer Florence myself.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I love Rome and agree that it needs a fair amount of time.
Since you said you are staying in each areas, it's hard to tell if you are staying in Lucca and Siena for 3 days (nights?-makes a difference).
I'd choose Florence over Siena and think a day and a half works well in Lucca (e.g. 2 nights), unless you plan a day trip from there (Barga,Pisa, cinqua terra,etc.).
DeborahAnn
You may want to start a new thread for your question. On the surface, if I were to do a day trip (assuming by train)from Rome my preferences (in order) are:
Pompeii (but a long day)
Orvieto
Florence
Again,this depends on your likes and if you have ever been to any of them.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Having been to neither, for myself I would choose Florence. Because I often travel solo, and it is my impression Florence is smaller therefore less intimidating than Rome. Since I am more of a &quot;soak up the atmosphere&quot; instead of &quot;see the historical sites&quot; kind of person, Florence would be a better fit for me.

This may or may not be similar to you and your husband, for sure geographically Florence fits better with your other destinations.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM

thanks,jabez, you are right about starting a new post, first I will do a search (Just in case Ira is around ) I was mulling over the possibilities when I saw this post and Florence and Rome both appeal to me. Deborah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -