Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

can i buy a ticket to the orsay at a kiosk to avoid lines,?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides fnac, where would be convenient when arriving at cdg to buy a ticket to the orsay to avoid lines?

or is there a fnac near there?

this will be a quick trip into town, and i am reluctant to buy online in case i don't feel like doing this when i land for some reason.

thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I believe the FNAC closest to the Musee d'Orsay would be the one at 74 Avenue des Champs-Elysees. Metro: Franklin D. Roosevelt.

But it might be more convenient to go to the FNAC at 1 rue Pierre Lescot which is very close to the Chatelet Les Halles RER station.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:53 AM

If the quick trip into town is from CDG, there is a FNAC near the RER St Michel stop and the d"Orsay is quite walkable from ther.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks.. now, is this the ONLY place besides the museum itself to buy the tikcet?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM

According to the d'Orsay website, your choices are:
- museum
- FNAC
- Ticketnet
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM

You can buy the museum pass at any of the museums on the list. Last week we bought ours at the Louvre. We tried at major Metro stations, which used to carry them, but were told they no longer did so.

We were on the Isle, and thought we would pop over to St Chapelle, since it was a cloudy day, and we expected the line to be short. No such luck, it was out the door and down the block!

We then took the Metro to the Louvre, saw signs that said "Museum Passes", walked right up to the counter and got passes with absolutely no waiting in line!

I must say we smirked to ourselves shamelessly each time we got to bypass the lines, which were long, even in October. We went to the Orsay twice, and each time were waved in the right-hand entrance, with no delay at all.

Hint: If time is limited, and you want to only see the impressionists, walk all the way through the ground floor exhibits to the back, where there is a model of the Paris Opera House, turn to your left, hook around to your right, and there is an almost hidden series of escalators that take you all the way to the top, saving a hell of a lot of stairs. You can work your way down from there, using as much time as you have.

Have a great visit, it is a WONDERFUL museum!

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. since i do not want the PASS, i will go to fnac.

i haven't been to the orsay for years.. will probably have lunch there. looks like a beautiful place to relax..