Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me decide between Hotel du Lys and Hotel Clement?

May 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Both hotels have availability for us on May 18, 2003. We were late in planning our trip and we're worried that everything would be booked. That has not been the case. A few of our first picks were booked such as Grand Ecoles but these 2 hotels (and Hotel Esperance) have rooms.

Has anyone stayed at either place and perhaps comment on rooms, location, etc? I've read some old posts but there hasn't been anything recent that I could find.

thanks to all of you knowledgable Fodorites!
May 8th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I (plus friends and family whom I've recommended it to) have been staying at du Lys since 1996, and we all just love it. In fact, a colleague of mine and her husband are there now, and they just sent me an email saying that they think it's great!
My most recent visit was last May, and the bathrooms had been renovated since I'd been there before.

It has a great location for getting everywhere, close to 2 metro stations (St. Michel and Odeon); only drawback as I see it is that it does not have an elevator. If climbing a winding staircase is a problem, then it's not for you.

I don't know anything about Clement.
May 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Clement sometimes doesn't honor reservations according to some here. It seems the desk is too busy to answer email inquiries also when I emailed them a few times.

Du Lys, on the other hand, answered my email inquiry promptly. There is no elevator I believe and there isn't a/c but it offers great rates and is very central! Would go for du Lys instead of Clement.
May 8th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Hi Amy. I'm not familiar with the Clement. Since first reading about the Hotel du Lys in an early version of Sandra Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps" book, I had wanted to stay there but it was always booked. Finally, on a trip four years ago, they had a cancellation, so we stayed there for two nights when we returned from Provence and we loved it. We had a nicely-furnished large room with beamed ceilings and a nice bathroom, on the main floor across from the reception desk.

Breakfast was, as I recall, included and it was good but it was a bit cramped sitting at small tables set up in the lobby.

I think the location is great, only a few blocks from busy Place St.Michel and yet on a very quiet street, the Rue Serpente.
May 8th, 2003, 04:36 PM

If you can skip Hotel Clement I would. I had a very bad experience with a lost reservation that they would not honor even though I had all of the dated confirmation material that they had sent me. They were not very nice about the mistake they had made. Someone later asked about the hotel, and I warned her of what had happened to us there. She booked anyway, and guess what--they lost her reservation!
May 8th, 2003, 06:22 PM

I had a rather good experience at the Clement. It's a small charming hotel, the staff seemed nice and helped when I needed it. I did call ahead and had no problem with my reservation. The location was great, half a block to the Metro, many resturants nearby. There were 3 of us traveling and we got a junior suite so there was plenty of room, but I've heard other rooms can be small. Whatever you choose have a great time in Paris.
May 8th, 2003, 06:39 PM

You know, Amy, in doing a search on here, I find quite a bit about the du Lys and recent info, too.