Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations on where to go in Paris to shoot for a moulin rouge inspired film

Need recommendations on where to go in Paris to shoot for a moulin rouge inspired film

May 8th, 2003, 02:11 PM
jmp
Original Poster

I am coming to Paris from NYC (in May) to shoot a moulin rouge type piece for a film. I don't know Paris that well - I was hoping to get some ideas of places to shoot that have the following criteria:

1. carnival like atmosphere
2. street performers
3. bright lights
4. interesting architecture
5. feeling of Paris in 1940's
6. Moulin rouge inspired places

thank you
May 8th, 2003, 02:17 PM

HI
the area around the Pompidou museum in the Marais section is a busy plaza with water features, kinetic sculptures, street performers, etc.
Definitely modern and not 40's looking.
May 8th, 2003, 02:24 PM

There are street performere every night at dusk at the Trocadero.
There is a merry go round at the foot of the stairs to Scare Coeur.
Interesting architecture in the small streets around Sacre Coeur, including two windmills. You might find the feeling you are looking for here.
Also at night the Boul. St. Germain is lit up and has some street performers.
May 8th, 2003, 02:34 PM

There are street performers all around Sacre Coeur,usually. Sometimes there is a person playing old Parisian music on an accordian, which is kind of retro... The famous steep staircase of rue Foyatier is close by - the one with the street lamps and trees kind of hanging over...(runs alongside the funicular).
The Place du Tertre ('artists corner') is around the corner from Sacre Coeur, and seems kind of like a carnival (but probably not the kind you mean!) with all the 'artists' soliciting business from the tourists... some of the back streets are kind of nice, though, and the facades of the cafes and shops look like they probably have for years...

We visited Paris one April and there actually was a carnival there, out by Bois de Vincennes. You might check to see if another one could be happening near or in Paris while you are there.

The train stations probably look the same for years now (I'm guessing) - you could film the crowds milling about, the long lines, confused faces, etc. Some of the stations have a very open look about them inside, I'm thinking Gare de Lyon . . .

And maybe some of the long-time brasseries could give you the atmosphere you look for, like Chartiers, or something... very bustling, waiters with long aprons, etc. Also you could check into some of the Passages, which are covered shopping halls with skylights, little cafes, small boutiques, etc...
May 8th, 2003, 03:11 PM
rex

Call me naive, but unless you're talking about a student-type "short" (and maybe even then), wouldn't there be a film commission or something you need to talk to?

As for taking someone's picture without their permission (to say nothing of a moving image to show to others), the French are quick to say "vous n'avez pas le droit".

Best wishes,

Rex
May 8th, 2003, 03:20 PM

I think Rex has a good point, unless this is very off-the-cuff handheld video stuff. You have to get permission to do filming. This must be a student film or you wouldn't just go to Paris without someone arranging these things or knowing the area.

Unfortunately, filmmakers sort of do set stuff up and embellish it so you won't find anything as glamorous or Moulin Rouge (or Amelie)-like in real life. But, I think the above are good ideas for what you seek. the area around Sacre Coeur especially, and look around the Tuileries gardens. They often have some carnival stuff going on or a ferris wheel (which I guess moved to near Bercy).

Actually, now that I think of it, place Charles Michels is sort of retro feeling and has a carrousel there. No street performers, you don't get that in regular neighborhoods, but it's not as touristy and will be more authentic, sort of (I stayed near there once). There's no particularly interesting architecture I can think of there, though.
May 8th, 2003, 06:50 PM
jmp
Original Poster

No this is not a student film -- and the people I will be with will have the proper paperwork (it's for french open spots).

Thanks for any suggesstions.