Search

Camogli

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camogli

We are staying in Camogli for 5 or 6 nights. Plan to day trips to Genoa, Sestri Levante, San Frutt. , Portofino. Been to Santa Marg. Rappallo and Levanto CT. Any other suggestions for day trips. Any favoriate restuarants in this area. We will have a car.Thanks Myra
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM

One of my 7 favorite destinations. Try Rosa's restaurant with the tree in the middle of the place and beautiful views back down to the sea and the twinkling harbor. Great fish. We also like the restaurant in the Casamona hotel. Seaviews from the second story. Nice, relaxed atmosphere. While we love the Cennobio dei Doge hotel there, I find their restaurant a bit too large and open to feel inviting.

From there you could also do Portovenere, just beyond the CT. You could even keep going and check out the seaside Forte dei Marmi and if you don't mind driving a ways, Lucca and Montecatini Terme (spa town with fabulous spa architecture.) Of course, Pisa is within striking distance from there also but aside from the tower, there's not much to recommend it. Enjoy. Just being in Camogli is wonderful.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Da Paolo's restaurant is the best. It's easiest to ask your hotel for directions because it's tucked into a corner of Camogli off the seafront.

On the seafront, Bar Primula makes excellent cocktails and is a great place for an evening drink and watching the local scene. The most picturesque sunset view is from the terrace of Cennobio Al Doge, and the cocktails are good. (I've never eaten there.) Get yourselves up there if you suspect the sunset is going to be good.

In gelato season, the gelateria that sits -- hmmm, how to describe this? It's a seaside storefront, not a cafe, and it is on the side of town leading closer to Cennobbio al Doge than the harbor.

Right under the archways to the fishing boat harbor, there is a very serviceable lunch restaurant, with tables on a deck that overhangs the water. Not expensive, not bad at all -- although they usually play loud music.

Facing right onto the fishing harbor is Vento Ariel and I think it's excellent.

I second the recommendation for Rosa's, especially for lunch so you can enjoy the view.

I also like the pizzeria that is right on the beach: La Luna.

Finally, at 4pm each day, there is a foccaceria (near the boat harbor) that serves hot, freshly made farinata, a specialty of Liguria. It's like a thick, chickpea crepe or pizza (without sauce). People line up for it.

As for day trips, I suggest that you consider taking a drive to the other side of Genova and make a visit to the beautiful seaside hilltown of Cervo, not only to see the gorgeous, gorgeous town, but to eat at Giorgio's, one of the gastronomic treasures of Liguria! (Not a cheap lunch, but very much worth it. They have a terrace. Make a reservation.)

I am so glad you are going to Sestri Levante! When you get there, I hope you will be able to snag a table for a cocktail at a little bar that is right out there on the spit of land that separates the two bays. If faces the sandy cove. Also, I had a very good lunch at the Miramare Hotel right on the main (car) street facing the Med, and I always regretted I didn't have a meal at a tiny osteria with communal wooden tables that is on the pedestrianized street that doesn't front the water, but leads off the spit of land and into town. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's an enjoyable street to window shop, and you probably can't miss it because they also have a very heavily patronized gelateria on the corner.

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I was also going to suggest Rosa's. The views were great from there.

Another thing we really enjoyed in Camogli was the foccacia breads...they were the best we had in Italy. There is a little shop by the harbor in Camogli...wish I had the name but it had wonderful foccacia. I still dream about it!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Stayed in Camogli about 2 years ago. Wanted to eat lunch at Rosa - the views are magnificent - but ran late. I really like Porto Prego - about middle of the passagiata (sp?) - a bit pricey but the owner comped us a bottle of wine half way through the meal. Be sure to have abottle of wine in the afternoon along the passegiata - the parade of characters is better than Felini's 8 1/2.

Porto Prego
Piazza Colombo, 32; 0185 Camogli

After 5 days in Camogli - I stayed in Nervi. There is a wonderful path that clings the coastal mini cliffs - scattered along it are gardens, restaurants, bars and gelatterias (sp?).

In Sestri Levante - try and have lunch at Vis a Vis or at least a drink - the views of Sestri Levante are magical.

http://www.hotelvisavis.com/
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Sata Margharita, loved Portovenere
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM

ttt
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM

The name of the Camogli foccaccia (fugassa) baker mentioned in Fred Plotkin's book is Rocco Rizzo on Via di Repubblica.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM

ttt