camel ride

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camel ride

has anyone taken a camel ride in egypt? if so, what do you wear to ride a camel? also are they muzzled? thank you.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
esm

Post your question in Africa/Middle East forum for replies.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

I rode a camel in Australia, and jeans were fine. Think like you're going to ride a horse... pants you can move in without ripping, nothing nice like slacks. Some people wore shorts but I wouldn't suggest it.

The camels weren't muzzled, but I don't remember anyone getting spit on.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM

I thought they only spit if they get PO'd. It's nasty, sticky stuff from what I understand, so be on your best behavior.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Not in Egypt but elsewhere in north Africa - just wear something comfortable and 'stretchy' (camels are wider than most riding horses). It was great fun and a lot more comfortable than you are led to believe. The only thing I found disconcerting was the fact that you just have a load of 'air' in front of the saddle instead of the neck of a horse, lol.

One or two of the camels were muzzled but most weren't. I think they have a rather undeserved bad reputation - ours were friendly enough. We even got our photos taken 'kissing' a camel by holding a lump of vegetable between our lips and the camel plucking it away with its mouth very gently.

Didn't see one spitting but they make incredible noises! I swear our one said a perfect 'boogie-woogie' when we got off, which made me and my son laugh like mad, and even a woman walking past did a double take and said 'WHAT did that camel just say?'