Can I wear my engagement ring?

Jun 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Can I wear my engagement ring?

Can I wear my 1.75 ct engagement ring and wedding ring in East Africa, or should I leave ALL jewelry at home?
Jun 4th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Well, my rings have been on my fingers for the last 28 years and no longer come off, so obviously I wear mine. I noticed most of the other married women wore theirs. As mine is good sized-sparkler as well, I've always turned it inward toward my palm while on city streets unfamiliar to me or in any situation it seemed appropriate not to attract unwanted attention. Use common sense and you'll always be OK.
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:18 PM
sandi

On my first trip to Kenya, I left my sparklies at home and wore less expensive gold or costume jewelry.

Well, that was the one and only time I've ever done that and I don't do that any longer, regardless where - whether East Africa, Egypt, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South East Asia, Turkey, France, Australia, and, and...

My sparklies travel with me - on my ears, fingers, wrist, and around my neck.

And like uhoh_busted, the rings get turned around and necklaces placed under t-shirts (you've got the picture) if I find myself in an area where I'm uncertain.

It's just a matter of using common sense. Besides, based on your itinerary, with the exception of the time you'll be in NBO (and with a guide most all the time) be cautious, but no need to be crazy about this. However, should you decide to walk around NBO on your own - unlike LA, where nobody walks - in NBO nobody walks as it can be unsafe. Take taxis anywhere if not with your guide, and in this instance, I wouldn't wear anything of any value, wouldn't carry but a few dollars in my pocket. Leave jewelry, credit cards, passport, airline tickets - anything of value in hotel safe.

Jun 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Had I not read the responses of two of the most experienced, trusted posters on this site I would have thought you were a bit crazy to even ask about bringing a diamond this size but they seem to think it is all right. Of course common sense always prevails but I think it also depends on what kind of itinerary you have planned. If you are in small camps the whole time or mainly sitting on game vehicles then no problem at all. If you are circulating amongst the masses then I would reconsider. Then again, there are plenty of places here in the US or UK you would probably turn it inwards anyhow
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM
sandi

jeorgagirl -

>>responses of two of the most experienced, trusted posters on this site<<

how sweet of you, but take my word, there are times people think I do do crazy things.

It comes down to what a person feels is their comfort level. Nothing more, nothing less. Is the jewelry insured (I hope so), how upset would one be to loose it or have it stolen (very, I know I would be).

So, use your common sense.

Jun 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Sandi: I'm sick that Swala camp is booked for our dates, as is Bateleur in the Mara. I guess everyone knows where the action is in September. Any votes for other camps? Our CCafrica agent is great and is wiling to arrange non-CCfrica camps/lodges for us.
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:55 AM

Try Mara Explorer. It is managed by a WOMAN! A Masai woman no less! That is quite an accomplishment in Kenya's patriarch society. It is in the reserve and has been getting great reviews. Then there is also Cottar's 1920s Mara Safari Camp, which is just outside of the park on the eastern border. Also, Kichwa Tembo, but it is rather large (40 tents), but a good location as well.
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:14 AM
sandi

styleoracle - agree with SusanLynne re Mara Explorer. Also, check on Mara Intrepids, owned by the same company Mara Explorer. There' also Mara Serena - a lodge, rather than a camp, also larger, but has one of the best positions overlooking the Mara.

You can also check Governors' Il Moran Camp, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was already booked. Another, is Kicheche Mara Camp (an eco-camp) at the northern end of the Serengeti, but in Kenya's part of the Mara. Still another is Olonana; also Rekoro lodge or Rekoro Tented Camp.

Outside the reserve is Saruni with only six (6) tents. And a bit further afield, but lovely is Shompole which lies between the Namanga border crossing and the Mara along the border with Tanzania.

A number of these above, are in the same price level as the CCA camps (high), some are Bush Homes where you're treated more as a house guest (high), a few might be a little less expensive.

With camps like Shompole, Saruni (both expensive) and others outside the Mara proper, it would be best that you spend the entire day out on game drives (you will be provided with lunch for the drive) to avoid driving back and forth.

Of course, if it weren't Migration season, you wouldn't have the issue of getting space and these camps could be visited differently as the need to be in the Mara isn't as urgent. There is plenty of game closer to these camps and other safari options.

But have CCA check them all. Hope this helps and good luck.

Jun 5th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SusanLynne and Sandi!
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:27 PM
sandi

Instead of Swala at Tarangire, have the agent check on Kikoti.

Jun 6th, 2004, 05:55 AM

styleoracle,
You can also try Mara River Camp owned Savannah Camps of Africa.
It is a small camp (16 tents) and a little more rustic but still very comfortable and is a favorite of photographers, filmmakers, etc and is right on the Mara river.

We were to stay there in July of '03 but the camp closed for renovations. I don't know if they've reopened yet but you can check.

If you go to

www.savannahcamps.com

you should be able to pull up some info on it. They also own Kikoti in the Tarangire and Galla in Tsavo among others.
Jun 6th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Divewop: It was to my understanding Mara River Camp closed due to lack of tourists, not renovations. If that is the case, then here is my vote for MRC. We stayed there in 2002 and I loved it. It has been met with mixed reviews, but the ambiance, staff and location made it one of my personal favorites. The sounds of the hippo at night (our tent was at Hippo Corner!), and hearing the laughter of the Masai at the river doing laundry, etc. The camp manager John Cook used to conduct hunting safaris and he can tell a few stories. We thoroughly enjoyed our evenings there, sitting around the campfire. And we even found the ride to and from the park to be an adventure unto itself! Here, here to Mara River Camp!
Jun 6th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Oh bummer SusanLynne,
I am sorry to hear that. I had no idea they were closing permanently. We were told about two weeks prior to us leaving in July of last year that they were only closing for renovations and would reopen in the first part of 2004 and possibly under new ownership.

I was disappointed because we were really looking forward to staying there.

We ended up at Il Moran instead which was extremely nice. That was interesting as well because only Il Moran and Little Governor's camps were open. The main Governors camp was closed too due to lack of tourists.

Thanks for keeping me informed. I was wondering why I hadn't heard much about it anymore.
Jun 6th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Divewop: That's what I'd heard about Mara River Camp, but if you look at the Savannah Camps website, it is still listed. However, it does not say anything about renovations, which is usually something a camp/lodge touts. Perhaps the closure was only temporary. I will find out though ... I'm on it!
Jun 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I was wondering why it was still listed there too. And I found it on the onsafari.com website too.

Please do let me know what you find out.
If anyone else out there knows, can you update us? Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Divewop: I emailed a Kenya tour operator inquiring about booking at MRC. They cannot as it is STILL closed. If the close is permanent, I must say it is a downright shame.
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM

SusanLynne,

Thanks for inquiring w/ the tour operator. I assume they couldn't give you any specifics as to why MRC was still closed. I agree, what a shame to close such a nice camp.

Since I've been playing PowerBall and Megamillions faithfully, guess I'll add MRC to my list of what-to-buy when I win

Anyone in the market for a really nice tented camp in the Mara?
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Divewop: A tented camp, no? But I saw a really nice piece of property for sale in Kenya a few months ago that was a couple of million. I play Powerball as well (live in NH), so I guess I am in competition against you for those coveted funds. May the best Africaphile win!
Jun 8th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Divewop: Just got word from another that MRC is STILL closed, but it is supposed to re-open. No date set for that, though.
Jun 8th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the update SusanLynne. MRC was too nice to let just sit there closed. Glad it's going to reopen sooner or later. Now I have ANOTHER (one of many) excuse to go back to Kenya.

I saw that property you were talking about and have been looking at properties in Africa for a while now too. What a dreamer I am!
My husband knows I'd move there tomorrow given half a chance. Since I was born in North Africa but left as a wee little child, it's only fit that I get the chance to live there as an adult! That's my story and I'm sticking to it

And if I win the Mega Millions(up to $71 million tonight), I'll drop out of Powerball so you can sweep that one alone. Isn't that kind of me?

Search this Thread