Search

camel ride

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camel ride

has anyone ridden a came? what type of cclothes do you wear? are they muzzled for safety/
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM

I would suggest NOT to wear a skirt - unless it's really long and flow-y. I managed to avoid riding one for years (altho I did ride a donkey) - but most of the folks I saw wore pants.

Main thing, I would imagine, is to wear something comfy.

I don't think I ever saw a camel muzzled.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM

I recommend loose clothing, cotton if possible. It's pretty uncomfortable especially if it's hot. I don't remember the camels being muzzled.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:26 AM

We rode a camel in Petra - I was wearing quite heavy clothes because it was cool so they were fairly restrictive and I didn't have a problem - it was fun!

Pic here

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/p...0/dsc09371.jpg
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:56 AM

As others, suggest comfortable pants (crop length are fine). No muzzles on the camels; they do have a habit of spitting so stay clear.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Wear loose slacks, top and a hat. You want to be comfortable. My luggage was lost for the part of my trip that involved riding the camels. I had to purchase pants that had a seamed cuff mid calf from a local store. The seams of the cuff rubbed against my calf with the up and down motion of the camel. I had a bit of fabric burn on my legs. I also did not have my hat and got a bit of sun and wind burn on my face. I am not fair complexioned but if you are fair, I would also recommend some sun screen.

The camels we saw were not muzzled.
We did see someone from another encampment try to touch a camel that was tied and the camel snapped at her. I would not try to touch a camel if its legs are tied as they are clearly not happy about that situation.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM

I found I preferred to have my camera in my around-my-waist camera bag rather than around my neck and bouncing against my chest with each step. It also was more secure for mounting and dismounting in the camera bum bag.

When your pant legs hike up a little as you are seated on the camel, be sure your socks are long enough to cover your skin to protect it from sun and rubbing against the camel.

My rides have been a few hours. If you are going for days that could be a different story.

No muzzles. Never saw one bite, but boy can they spit.