Camcorders in museums, cathedrals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be shooting the video "Spain by Train" in April-May, and want to include appropriate highlights along the way. Will we have problems shooting in museums? Cathedrals? I'll be emailing individual institutions in advance, but from past experience expect most of my emails to be ignored. (Past experience: See "Scandinavia by Train" at www.customflix.com.

We'll be a month (minimum) riding from Bilboa to Cadiz, Barcelona to Merida -- on everything from AVE to Costa Verde locals.

I'm following your informed comments on hotels, restuarants, etc., on this forum with much appreciation.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM

If it's a commercial video, I suspect you would need "official" permission to tape. Instead of e-mail, why don't you just use the telephone?

Just a suggestion.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 10:34 PM

SalB is correct. If you plan on shooting with a professional camera and crew, you will absolutely have to get permits to shoot anywhere. Even if you are using a pro-sumer camera (i.e. XL-1)with tripod, most museum will assume you are shooting for pay and require permits. If you try to get around acquiring and paying for permits, you can be slapped with huge fines. I would contact spain's film board or tourism board instead of contacting the sites directly, they will be able to facilitate getting permits. Permits are not inexpensive as I know producers of a couple of well known travel shows and a large part of their budget goes to acquiring the appropriate papers. Also, Spain is not Scandinavia and even with the proper permits, you may be ask (or rather forced) to pay extra at specific sites by the officials on hand.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll be contacting the "authorities" about official permissions. But instead of trying to look "professional", this shoot will go the other way. Using TRV-900s and a small digital camera, natural light, and electronic stabilization will help.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Never mind how this shoot is trying to "look" what it is going to "really be". I hope its for your family and friends only! If you're going to do anything commercial with it you must realise you're laying youself open to all sort of lawsuits - for using people's/sights images for commercial purposes without their express written consent/compensation. Never mind the invasion of other people's privacy. This all sounds very suspect to me.