Search

ideocamera recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideocamera recommendations

I am thinking of purchasing a small videocamera for our upcoming safari: any recommendations for small, easy to use and not too elaborate or expensive?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Woops, lost the V for Videocamera!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I just ordered the Canon ZR850. Low end, but that's OK. I wanted Mini DV (you may not) as a storage medium since we have a boatload of tapes from a previous camera that was stolen. It has Image stabilization - a priority - and also takes SD memory - also a priority. Double A batteries, I think, which is a priority. I looked on Consumer Reports, and Cnet, and both agreed that the Canon 800 series is pretty good for the money - obviously you can spend a lot more, especially if you go High Def, but for my simple family movies I couldn't justify that for now.
Good luck!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Well, I don't know. But there has been discussion regarding how you can (or some cases can not) EDIT what you take. I'd certainly consider how you're going to do that because you will have to do it.

regards - tom
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I bought a small Sony camcorder, the DCR HC28,which uses the tapes. I did learn that the DV's can't be edited until the disc is full or whatever, and I wanted to be able to erase, rewind, etc. while on the trip. The microphone is in the front,and I guess that is important so you don't hear the filmer breathing into the camera. This model does not accept the microphone accessory, but it was really inexpensive.