Cambridge or Oxford?

Jan 9th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Karen

Cambridge or Oxford?

We are planning a trip to London in mid-March and we need help with eliminating attractions. There is soooo much to see and we will only have 6 days. I know the obvious, but would like some opinions such as visiting Cambridge or Oxford...can't do both. Also, I haven't read any information on Brighton or Dover. Anyone have anything to say about eiher...good or bad? Thanks

Jan 9th, 2003, 09:15 PM
ron

Having been to both, I certainly prefer Cambridge to Oxford, and it is the one I would most likely return to. But, really, for a first trip, I can’t think of any basis for choosing one over the other.

To me, Brighton is the Royal Pavilion and the pier/waterfront. I like visiting Brighton on a nice day. But given that March weather is likely to make the waterfront unpleasant, I doubt that I would go at all at that time.

Jan 10th, 2003, 02:25 AM
s

I think Cambridge is prettier than Oxford but both places have a lot to offer.

I agree with Ron's comments regarding Brighton.

Why do you want to go to Dover? It's not a bad place, perhaps a bit threadbare. Consider Canterbury instead although you can easily fill your six days in London alone.

Have a great trip.

Jan 10th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Nick

I agree with the others that Cambridge is prettier but both are nice towns and Oxford has perhaps a couple of colleges I prefer over the Cambridge ones. Agree with Brighton and Dover observations.

Jan 10th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Karen

Thanks for the opinions! In answer to your question about why I wanted to see Dover, I heard there was an awesome castle there and of course the "white cliffs of Dover" sound beautiful. I am so looking forward to this trip as it is my first one to London. Thanks again.

Jan 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Virginia

Cambridge is definitely my choice -- and not just because I studied there. The principal colleges are less spread out, the pedestrian zone is filled with interesting shops and restaurants as well as schools; the hop on=hop off bus tour includes a visit to the American cemeterty at Maddingly where the dead from World War II are beautifully memorialized. I suggest you take the earliest cheap-day return train from London, grab the tour bus at the station and go out to Maddingly, then come back into the city to explore. Lunch at one of the restaurants on the banks of the Cam provides a great chance to watch swans, ducks, and if the weather is decent, punters on the river. Don't miss the market, Kings College Chapel, the Round Church, and tour at least one of the colleges that is welcoming visitors the day you head out.

Have a great trip.

Virginia

PS Brighton is great fun. The Pavillion is divinely silly and tea at one of the hotels along the water can be delightful.

Jan 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM
erich

Definitely Cambridge. Oxford has its charms, but it is larger, noisier and dirtier. Cambridge is lovely.

Jan 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Karen

Looks like Cambridge gets the day trip. Thanks to all who wrote with their favorites, it is much appreciated. I think Dover and Brighton will have to wait until the next trip! Thank you