Cambridge: April or June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance to spend a fews days in Cambridge, England -- either at the end of April or at the end of June. When should I go?

I note that the university will be in session at the end of April but not at the end of June.

I wonder what the ewather will be like at the end of April. Any flowers and greenery in evidence, or too early?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
mjs

I thas been a long time since I lived in Cambridge so please take my comments with a grain of salt. This is especially true as I get to England a few times a decade and get the sense that the weather is different than when I lived there. Having said that, I would vote for April as June can get rather warm/hot sometimes while I would think April would be more pleasant albeit with more risk of rain. I am also told by friends that Cambridge is heavily touristed in the summer but not in the Spring. I believe full term ends somewhere in mid June.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
kdcwood

We were in Cambridge on June 24, 2004, and it was a graduation day. We didn't expect this and it really added to our visit. The weather that particular day was cool.

This was part of an 11 week stay in the UK beginning on June 12th. The first two weeks of our trip we were based in London. Daytime temperatures were initially quite warm-- maybe in the low 90's, but later they fell into the 70's and we needed sweaters and shoes that covered our feet.

You might enjoy my blog of our day in Cambridge (links to a few photos). See: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000551.html (scroll down to Thursday)

Kathy

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Weather in the that area of the UK is considerably milder than most of the US and April is well into spring. There should be a lot of flowers and trees will have leaves - unlike here where we don;t get leaves until May and only a few flowers by April.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM

My recollection of being in Cambridge at Eastertime was that it was alive with daffodils and brilliant greens, blue sky and sunshine but waa decidely cool. Even though the students were gone it was still very beautiful, however, some of the buildings I wanted to enter were locked up.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM

Most of us regard the period round May 1 as the very nicest time of the year. "Burgeoning" just about sums up most of the countryside, with loads of green in the fields. Most flowers won't have come out yet, and a lot of trees may well still be in bud, rather than leaf

And, since the weather's better in April, with a far lower chance of those awful rain-free weeks on end we're getting more of from June onwards, the lawns can be relied on to stay green. A lot of fields will have turned all sorts of strange colours by late June.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM

I was in England (Cotswolds) one year during the second week of March and flowers were just starting to come out, so I would think that April should be nice. Enjoyed Cambridge one year (in July) - did a nice brass rubbing and attended a tour on bell rining (sounds stupid, but was very interesting)
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Either April or June would be fine. A bit more likely to have nice weather in June but April is often really nice too. If I HAD to pick one it would be June though. June is still not high season (British/European kids are still in school then) and you'd have the advantage of the really, REALLY long days

At the end of April you'll have about 14 hours of daylight, and at the end of June about 17 hours.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM

June for the long days and less chance of rain.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM

There is less rain in June than April.