California to Italy airfare...

Jun 4th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

California to Italy airfare...

Looking to fly out of the Bay Area on September 1. Seems like the cheapest air I can find right now is in the $900's.

Does this seem about right? Also...how is Lufthansa Air?
Jun 4th, 2003, 01:54 PM

wait a bit and see if it goes down. The last few times we have gone to Italy we have bought our tickets in July. The tickets were under 800 dollars from Seattle to Italy. One was into Milan and out of Rome and one was into Milan and out of Amsterdam. I am holding out to get my ticket until I find one for under $800.00.....
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

I'd love to be able to do that, but this is for a honeymoon and I really feel like I need to book it asap.
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Look into direct flights into a major European city like London and Paris or even Frankfurt. Then look for flights from that particular city to Rome, Florence or Venice, wherever. It may turn out cheaper, and besides, virtually all flights to Italy from the west coast has a layover anyways.

We booked an incredible deal from LAX to London for our May '03 trip and bought flight tickets into Rome and out of Naples (only to LGW not LHR) through Expedia (around $180 each). Combined airfare was less than $500 each. You can probably go cheaper by booking European flights on ryanair, autoeurope, etc. but you may have to fly out of smaller, out-of-the-way airports.

Right now, United Vacations is offering companion fare for $1 to Europe, so try to price out something through them.

Hope this helps!
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:20 PM
ira

Hi by

Have you tried priceline.com?

Also, is peace of mind worth $200?
Jun 4th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Hi by350,

I feel your pain. My only dates for travel to Florence from LAX and return Rome to LAX in December are heavy travel days. The quote is $920.00. Sleeping soundly at night is a wonderful thing so I will decide soon.

Good luck, Mike
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Yes, I couldn't do any better than $950 over a month ago unless I wanted to fly at inconvenient times or take long stopovers. For peace of mind, I just booked the trip. I was hoping to use my frequent flyer miles for free coach tickets but the airline said those seats were gone and I was booking in April for August.
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM

I bought my tickets 2 months ago for 771.00 dollars , open jaw travel, SAT to FCO and returning via Paris.
But of course,I kept looking and searching the internet quite often during the day.
I will be leaving in 2 weeks for Rome. I am going to miss you guys !!! I laughed a lot reading some very FUNNY posts...
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. We're trying to book from Albuquerque to Venice and home from Rome in October. I haven't found anything under $950. I don't get it, they say people arent' traveling and airlines are in trouble, I would think there would be some good sales. I did find much cheaper fares ($611) out of Dallas.

The best I can figure, that United deal is only for flights with hotels. It ends on Friday, if you're interested. It's impossible to get through on the phone though.

Good luck and let us all know if you find any better deals!

Deb
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Hey kismet, have a great time in Rome as I'm sure you will! This Fodorite will certainly miss your colorful comments during your absence!
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks Bluefan...when I go to the magic Trevi Fountain,I will throw a coin in your honor and make a wish that you come back again to the Eternal and Magnificent Rome.
Ciao,
kismet
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Kismet: Have a great time, and since mai tais are not very big in Rome, I'm sure you can find a nice bottle of vino rosso to consume while you're there.
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Haha..Maitatom...I toast to that !!! Cheers, Cin Cin, Gambei...Alla salute..Prosit...And many more..
kismet