Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feb 2006 during olympics good time to go to Italy?

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me, my wife, and three children ages 12-16 all want to go to Italy and have never been there. We always wanted to go in Feb 2006. Is the fact that the olympics will be in Torino (hope I got that name right, please correct me if not), more a reason to go or less a reason. We would love to see figure skating and/or hockey. We only have a total of eight days, however kids don't like to stay in each place too long. Also, how far from either Rome, Venice, Florence, or other major cities. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM

Ice hockey and figure skating are probably among the hottest ticket in town, so you need to book well in advance (if you can get them at all, esp for games involving US). Tickets may be easier to get for skating qualifying. Torino is the Italian name for the town normally called Turin in English (like Roma-Rome, Firenze-Florence, Venezzia-Venice). From Venice or Florence, train ride will take about 3 hours, and from Rome about double that or flying. Your main problem will be accommodation in Turin, which will be heavily booked and very expensive. If going to the Winter Olympics is your main aim, it may be better getting a package deal including tickets, travel and accommodation. Otherwise I'd stay away and watch on TV.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Alec, I am leaning towards staying away from Turin. However, I, upon others suggestions, have looked at cosport.com and some tickets are available. Tough decision.
Thanks
Ken
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hi Kendu,

I live in Park City, Utah, where about 1/3 of the Olympic events were held in 2002. Here is our experience.

First, if you really, really want to go to the Olympics, I highly recommend it! A wonderful, once in a lifetime exerperience! Now is a good time to start trying to get tickets and lodging.

However, if you really, really want to go to Italy - skip Torino and do a Italy trip. Other seasons would be better, unless you are going to ski.

When Salt Lake hosted the Olympics, hotel rooms were hard to come by and very expensive -- until the last minute! I worked in the hotel industry at the time. The International Olympic committee pre-books huge numbers of hotel rooms years in advance. Then later decide how many they really need. The closer it gets to the Olympics, the more rooms open up. Not to say they will be inexpensive, but they are obtainable.

You can easily do both the Olympics and Italy. Just check when the events you are interested in are scheduled. Then plan around that.

I think it would be best to fly direct into Milan, or change planes somewhere in Europe and go directly into Torino.
Go Team USA!
Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, good tips. However, if I did do vacation and olympics, should I fly into Milan if my ultimate goal was a couple of days in each of rome, venice and florence, and of course, one event of the figure skating or hockey depending on exact dates. What might be a good order?

Any comments appreciated
Ken
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:43 PM

That is a heck of a lot of places in 8 days, especially if those days include travel to and from USA; I'd rethink that. Even if your kids don't like to stay too long in each place, to see Turin, Florence,Rome, Venice would be literally hit and run. If your heart is set on the Olympics, I'd skip Rome (or Venice) on this trip.

Happy planning, and have fun!

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Hi again Kendu,

I agree that you have too many cities planned for too little time. You will loose a 1/2 day in travel each time you move.

Where to fly in/out and what order to visit the cities will be dictated by the Olympic schedule.

Assuming Olympics are first: fly into Milan, train to Torino. You'll be jet-lagged anyway so sitting on a train might as well be done in that state. You can get a nap.

2 days Torino

train to Venice (I guessimate 4 - 5 hours, Milan to Venice is 3, check on trenitalia site)

2 days Venice, early morning train to Florence

1 or 2 days Florence, depending on how much art you want to see

3 days Rome
fly out of Rome

This would really be the bare minimum - a "drive by", which is how I refer to my first trip. You won't see much, but a little of each.

If at all possible, I would double the length of your trip if you really want to visit all 4 cities.

Regarding Olypmic tickets: You will find people selling their tickets at the events, some of them will be scalpers. The events you want to see are the biggest demand events. Be prepared to pay dearly, even directly from the Olympic Committee. My women's downhill and men's slalom were $90 each, ice dancing finals with partial view were $125, then factor in the exchange rate today, yikes!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Dayle or any others, appreciate your responses. How long for the train from Milan to Turino? Also, if I bought at cosport.com olympics tickets for the price they posted, is that the price I pay or it is first affected by the exchange rate? How badly does the exchange rate affect things? Finally, are children around 12 discounted for any of these events?
Thanks again
Ken
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Once you'vpurchased your tickets, they cannot change the price. I've purchased tickets for the Opening ceremonies and another event. I'm alittle nervous about finding a hotel room.