By river from Vienna to Budapest

May 24th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

By river from Vienna to Budapest

I would like to travel by boat from Vienna to Budapest, some time around 19th to 21st August. I found there's a daily hydrofoil service but I was really looking for something more relaxed, perhaps with time to stop off for an hour or two here and there, maybe taking two days over it. The only such service I could find (on the MS Kaiserin Elisabeth) does not run in August. Can anyone help with advice on a suitable service, or maybe reassurance that the hydrofoil service is not just a question of sitting down for five and a half hours listening to the engines droning away. I can get that in a plane. Also, if we do take the hydrofoil, will there be enough room for our baggage (2x20 Kg, approx)? Thanks, Dennis.
May 24th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I've not been on the hydrofoil because I don't like travelling that way. The reason why there are only occasional ships between Wien and Budapest is that that part of the river isn't very scenic so there's no reason to go slowly. It's probably much better to get the train between Wien and Budapest, and to do a boat trip along one of the scenic stretches of the Danube such as Passau-Linz.
May 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM

sfac: Geoffhammer gives you good advice. You sit low in the boat, the engines do drone and because the banks of the river, for the most part, are high, there is not very much to see. The scenery is not that good anyway.
It is a beautiful drive through Melk and on to Budapest. The scenery is fantastic. I have heard the train ride is very scenic also.
May 25th, 2005, 02:23 AM

Joegri: I have taken the train both BUD-VIE return and Bratislava (another Danubian port only 30 miles from Vienna) to BUD return.

The BUD-VIE trip is slightly more picturesque overall, though the Bratislava route does hug the Danube for the last bit.

I would call neither a stunning route.

VIE-BUD train carriages are much better.

There is so much to see and do in Budapest itself that I would not take up extra time in transit -- Just my opinion.
May 25th, 2005, 03:44 AM

Whatever you do, either train or river, stop off and tour Bratislava - it is worth it. It is only 1 hour from Vienna by train, not sure how long via river.
May 26th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice. Sounds like I'm better off abandoning this plan and restructuring the trip to give more time in Budapest. However, will try to take in Bratislava following shadylady's advice. Thanks again, Dennis
May 26th, 2005, 06:48 AM

I have a page of websites and other info for Budapest. If you're interested, please e-mail me.

We too considered the hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest, but when I posted here asking about it, I received only negative responses. Took the train instead and it was a pleasant trip. We very much enjoyed our stay in Budapest.
May 26th, 2005, 08:44 AM

sfac,

I think your best bet is to take the hydrofoil (if it's running) from Vienna to Bratislava (one hour), stay overnight and train down to Budapest.

The hydrofoil dock is right next to the auto-free section of the old town, which is worthy of an afternoon stroll. If you're culturally inclined, check out the symphony/opera schedule at the opera house too.

Search this Thread