Search

Now THIS is Why I Came to France!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now THIS is Why I Came to France!

Hello, Fodorpeople:

Do any of you have a recipe for a perfect French vacation? I know that most trips wind up being a lottery, but now that I'm heading to France for the first time this summer, I’d love to hear any suggestions of eyebrow-lifting discoveries and idyllic getaways you found on your trips there. Essentially, we hope to spend three weeks in village France---touring the countryside and finding idyllic hamlets, once-upon-a-timefied towns, and adorable cul-de-sacs.

Can you suggest villages that appear unchanged for 500 years; towns filled with charming buildings and tempting antique shops; drives of tantalizing beauty? Wine routes or Van Gogh’s hang-outs? We plan to tour France “as the book flies” (Fodors France Gold Guidebook) so nothing too off-the-beaten-track and are game for ideas about any region---Bordeaux to Alsace, the Loire Valley to the Cote d’Azur, and beautiful Dordogne.

And can you throw in one or two of your this-is-why-I-came-to-France magical moments? (My friend remembers standing on the steps of Vezelay cathedral at sunset as the swallows swooped in and out of the church spires.) Thanks---uh, I mean, merci!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Rocamadour. Very old and very atmospheric. We spent a late fall afternoon there and watched a thunderstorm come rattling down that valley. That area of France should fill your requirements. My second choice would be Burgundy. Just a beautiful area to travel through each day and a sublime place to get loopy on excellent wine each night.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Here's my recipe:

1. Don't try to cover too much. For three weeks, stick to 2 regions at most.

2. Even in a given region, don't try to see everything. Plan to stay at least 3 nights in any given place (unless in transit) and explore the surroundings.

3. My suggestion would be to combine the Loire and the Dordogne, with the emphasis on the Dordogne (say 1 week for the Loire and 2 for the Dordogne),

4. Try to avoid travelling in August as the roads will be jammed with the French on holiday. July would be better, June the best.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip. France is much more than Paris.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:56 AM
ira

Hi cutty,

Are you sure you want to skip Paris?

Have you looked at the miniguide to France under "destinations"?

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Rocamadour is the second most heavily visited pilgrimage site in France after le Mont-St-Michel - not, IMO, adorable or charming, though it does have its attractive attributes.

For idyllic hamlets, you can't beat the Dordogne. But since you have three weeks I'd split it up with a week in the Dordogne in the area around Sarlat, a week in Languedoc-Roussillon meandering around the are between Cahors and Carcassonne, and a week in the Pays Basque with a combination of mountains and seashore.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Normandy in spring is greener than Ireland; the poppies in the Loire in June are just like a Monet painting; Provence is gorgeous with its olive trees, markets bursting with fresh produce and pastel painted doors. I love to drive down the straight roads in France beween rows of plane trees. There are many idyllic and bucolic and extremely charming corners of France. But Paris is the place where I am sure to say THIS is why I came to France!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Everyone likes different things. If i were doing what you're doing, I'd go for a week in Brittany, and a week either in inland Provence or the Lot; or maybe Atlantique Pyrenees.

I'd spend time sitting in cafes (or outside cafes) watching the world go by. I'd go to markets. I'd go to Antique Fairs. I'd drink a lot of wine and eat a lot of cheese.

I'd look for sunflowers, and lavender, and men playing boules. And I'd stay in tiny villages, off the beaten track and in nice buildings.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
blh

Cutty - we've had many magical moments in France - but I must admit that it would be hard to beat the moments in Vezelay - especially vespers at the cathedral - it draws us back every trip to France - Vezelay is just a beautiful place, as is all of Burgundy. But then there is Provence, which has many moments of it's own, etc., etc. There are many, many wonderful villages. "Discovering the Villages of France" by Michael Busselle will give you plenty of suggestions for your trip. We have used it and found many villages to explore - and many more that we want to explore in the future. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM

My choice would be to split the time between Burgundy and western Provence, with Brittany a close third. In Burgundy you could center around Beaune; in Provence, around St-Rémy and the Lubéron; and in Brittany around Dinan. Brittany has a climate that is great for flowers, if that appeals to you, and you will see lovely plantings in nearly every town and village.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I am so tempted to reply to this post, but all day I've been stopping myself because magic moments can't be replicated! But if you want to try, mine were at the base of Chenanceau in the Loire Valley, having dinner in the garden of La Rosariae in the golden light of a sunset; at a table under the trees beside a river in the Provencale village of Correns, eating olives and sipping the local rose wine; and looking over a lush valley from the top of Limeuil in the Dordogne after attending a concert of a Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox choir in the town's 12th century chapel. Timing is everything! Choose pleasant, centrally located towns for your bases and the magic will follow -- I don't think there is any place in the world with a more tremendous density of beauty, character, and incredible food.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:53 AM

Vote! Vote! Vote! What's the most beautiful village or town in France? We're planning a honeymoon trip this August to la belle France and wondering what regions were, well, in fact "erogenous zones" in all but name? If France were rated on a beauty-measuring gauge, where would the needle fly off the scale? Traveling through France's villages and towns I'm sure you can feel like a judge in Mother Nature's own beauty contest, no? And the winner is....?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:34 PM

Hi

you can still drink in Van Goghs night cafe in Arles.

In fact Languedoc / Provence can supply all your needs except many villages are much older than 500 years !

I guess an experience could be listening to Pavarotti in the 2000 year old roman arena in Nimes ?

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Coming in late on this discussion, but have to add our favorite spots. We will always remember the few days we spent in and around St. Emilion, and the most magical time we've ever spent anywhere was at Chateau Bagnols, just outside of Lyon. We arrived in the evening. The following morning we were given a tour of the grounds by a staff member. It was a damp, misty morning, and he had on a black cape trench with a hood. We felt like we were in a movie. We were with a small group, and got to visit each couple's room - absolutely incredible. Last fall we took a trip to Italy, again a small group tour, and were all talking about our favorite trips/spots. I mentioned our most magical trip, and before I had a chance to tell them the name of the place, one couple who'd also been there said, "I know, Chateau Bagnols!"
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:18 AM

You have already obtained good advice here from "Lavernerdrye" and others.

Provence is why I came to France. My wife and I, in our 60's, have returned 13 straight years and return in June.

Plane trees form an awning as you drive in to St. Remy de Provence. From late June to July lavender abounds, particularly as you head up out to the Luberon (50kms). There you might visit villages like Lourmarin, current home of Peter Mayle.

In St. Remy on Wednesday mornings, IMHO, is the best outdoor market in Provence. St. Remy is a quaint village, the birthplace of Nostradamus. Just outside of town is the asylum where Van Gogh spent the penultimate year of his life. Many of the sites he painted there are still evident.

We normally spend 8 nights in St. Remy then 4 in Paris (or Normandy, etc.)

France scenically, culturally is a gift that keeps giving. Have a great trip!

Anthony Spinelli
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:15 AM

My favorite villages/towns: Arles-(Provence), Sarlat, Beynac,(Dordogne)Saturday market in Sarlat is not to be missed. Semur-en-Auxois(Burgundy), Others, not sure exactly offhand where they are located but fairly central and south: Autoire, Collognes-la-Rouge, Seguret (Provence) VilleFranche-sur-Mer...These are all over the map, but once you decide on a region, check them out if you are nearby. I would def. include Dordogne in my itinerary and probably Provence as well. Do some reading - you'll figure out what appeals to you the most. Have fun! I am jealous!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM

My favorite part of France is the Midi-Pyrenees which make up the Tarn, Lot and Aveyron. You will find idylic hamlets at every turn. Cordes is a medivial village with artisans making and selling their wares. Albi's massive Cathederal is wonderful inside and they often have recitals from the huge organ. The Lot vally and Gorges is a delightful stretch of river with lots of samll villages. Conques is a beautiful town as is Cahors in the Lot. Rocamador, LesEyzies, Sarlat, the Grottes de Cougnac are all pre historic.

You could easily spend 3 weeks there and the wine from Cahors is good and cheap and the food of the region is, IMO the best in France.

Have a lovely trip
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM

For old wrld France do a tour along the Route Cathar. Old castles and even older villages. Mountains and vineyards and friendly locals.
Rich,
http://www.franceinfocus.net
Photos of over 80 villages and towns in France that i've visited.
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Lyon, for general walking and exploring the secret urban passageways known as traboules, and for France's best cuisine, is a surprise that I would hate to have missed. With the best of all worlds intersecting here -- Alps, Mediterranean, Massif Central, and Beaujolais wine country, there is an endless energy and cultural richness that inspired me to stay forever. The Les Halles de Lyon is the produce market and nerve center of a city obsessed with food.
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Have visited many of the 'perfect' French vacations by readers, I would concur with all their remarks. However, for a one to two day unforgettable French destination experience, do visit the small town of CONQUES. Yes, little to do for a long period, but one that will truly be remembered forever.(Difficult to reach, but not impossible; two middle aged ladies did it quite successfully, but not easily). Any tourist who has visited this town will agree, I'm sure!
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Every area in France has old and beautiful villages. We discover someplace new to us every year without trying.
Driving can be like riding through a painting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -