cruise vienna to budapest,

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

cruise vienna to budapest,

My family will be traveling in June to Vienna. We are contemplating a side trip to Budapest. I thought a boat ride there and maybe a bus ride back would be fun. I came across the Mahart hydrofoil. Has anyone done this trip?
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM

i hope you arenīt talking about a day trip.

budapest has so much to offer, and it is a three hour train ride away.

the hydrofoil has never been running in the winter when i have gone, but it sounds fun.

not sure how long a bus would take.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM

I'd take a train and spend at least one night there. Budapest has quite a lot to see. A castle across the river, an excellent art museum and you can go inside the Parliament building. Even get a short river trip on the Danube.

I think you'd see more going by train than on the river.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM

We had thought about taking the hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest and I posted here asking about it. Every response I got was negative. Apparently that part of the river isn't very picturesque, it is quite expensive and, at that time, they allowed smoking. We decided to take the train and it worked out very well.

Agree with lincasanova that hopefully you will be spending some time in Budapest. It is a wonderful city. We took a hydrofoil from Szentendre back to Budapest on a day trip (took the metro there) and that gave us a bit of a ride on the Danube. Also did an evening boat tour and it was absolutely beautiful. The chain bridge and parliament buildings full of lights. Nothing like sipping complimentary champagne, while floating down the Danube!
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I "was" talking about a day trip. We have 3 days in Vienna and with 4 kids we were not going to do any of the museums. My thinking was day one: city tour, St Stephanens cathedral, mostly mozart store, Naschmarkt. Day two: Schoenbrunn palace and the grounds, house of music and a wine dinner. With day 3 taking a side trip to Budapest. I thought the boat ride/train ride would be fun for the kids with a tour of Budapest. I realize the city is worth more than just a half a day but thats all we have. Day 4 we head to Fussen for 4 days then onto St Gilgen for 4 days then back to Vienna via the Danube /Melk.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM

A visit to Budapest as a side-trip on a 4-day stay in Vienna is simply out of proportion -- too much travel time, not nearly enough time in Budapest.

A day trip to Bratislava might be a better idea. And by train, because the ferry is not worth the money.