Buying a Navigo Decouverte Card

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving on Saturday to spend a week in Paris. Because we will arrive on Sunday and leave on Sunday, we think that a Navigo Decouverte Card will make sense, even if a little more expensive. We want to be able to transfer between buses and trains and metros, which ever is easiest.

That said, I found a post from last summer regarding the purchase of the Navigo Decouverte card and was wondering if we can buy one at the Invalides Metro station as we are staying in the 7th, close to that station? Is the process the same? Can we use Euro bills or do we need to have coins? I understand that American Credit Cards and Debit cards don't work in the automated machines. Any assistance you can add is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Valarie
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

This was our experience last year - we stayed in the 7th too. My wife speaks excellent French:

- Went to the nearest Metro station to get the card & all the other stuff. Agent said she didn't have the cards - and was not eager to help us.

- Went to another station and requested the same. We got the cards and the "charge" for the coming week

- Second week we went to a station to get a recharge. Agent came out of the ticket booth and we went to the "machine". He walked us through all the steps. We paid with paper money. As you suspected, US Credit/debit cards won't work.

- Third week we went to a station & could not locate the "machine". We asked the agent "where is the machine"? She said that she could recharge the ticket for us - which she did at her booth.

Stu Dudley
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Which metro stations did you go to Stu? We were planning on going to the "bigger" Invalides" station. Did you try that one?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM

I don't remember....sorry

Stu Dudley
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Can you purchase one at a local Tabac shop? There is one on the same street as our apartment.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM

I've never seen that mentioned here as one of the options - but I don't read every post about Navigo Decouvrte cards. I doubt if they would have the equiptment to electronically recharge your card.

Stu Dudley
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM

According to this page:

http://www.ratp.info/informer/passe_navigo_orange.php

N.D. can be obtained at third-party RATP outlets (<I>obtenu immédiatement dans toutes les stations, gares et chez les commerçants agréés, sans constitution de dossier, pour un prix de 5 €</i.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM

Last fall we originally tried purchasing ND card at Tuilleries but it was not offered. We then went to the Chatelet which is a larger metro station and purchased it there.

I would expect Invalides to offer it.

We took 1 inch digital pics with us which we printed at the local CVS drugstore. It worked well for our family and saved us time and money.

Good luck,
Faith
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy one at CDG upon arrival?
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:32 AM

^bellairegirl,

This link should answer your questions in detail, but yes, you can buy them there.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-questions.cfm

~Jay
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM

I did my Navigo Decouverte at the Ecole Militaire station last Dec...picture and whole works. The attendant put it all together for me. I am charging it weekly while I am here now, as I arrived mid month. I went late morning. I wold not do it during rush hours. It is the way to go!!

Joan
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Joan,

It looks like the Ecole Militaire station is small than the Invalides station, so if Ecole had a manned booth, Invalides should. Will take your advise and go off-rush hour. Are the metro booths manned on Sunday?
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM

It isn't systemwide as to whether a booth is manned at certain times or not, it depends on the station. I would expect Invalides would have one, though. It isn't just a metro station, it is an RER station.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Hi...

Never bought the Navigo (but will have an opportunity Tuesday, May 12 when we arrive for a week)...but in 2007, the RER station at CDG had the Hebdo coupon for our Cartes Oranges (which were still in use at that time).

I suspect that that station will likely have everything you need, since it is a major station for folks going to the city.

If you find out and have access to a computer, let us know with a Fodor's post. Thanks.
SS
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't try buying it at CDG unless you plan to go to the RER station to take the train into Paris anyway. Otherwise, it's too much added time at the airport.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelnut. We will go for a walk after we get settled in at our apartment to the Invalides RER/Metro station Sunday afternoon. Worse thing that happens is we can't get our Cards, but we enjoy a wonderful stroll through Paris to help combat jet lag.