Reload this Page >

Question on picking up train ticket bought online at railstation in France

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM
dac
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute change of ticket due to pending strike - It seems I can buy the ticket on line but options to pick up are automated ticket machine or railstation counter. Which one should I choose?
My original ticket was bought in advance and I was emailed the tickets.My concern is that they say you need to use the card that you purchased with on line but that cards without chips may not be accepted. I live in US so I'm not sure if mine has a chip. HELP I leave tomorrow!! Thank you
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM

It's true about the chips, so you'll have to pick it up from an agent at the counter of the train station. Your American cc won't work in the machines. Give yourself at least an extra half-hour if it's a big station.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:13 AM

YOu can assume your card does not have a chip, I have never heard of a US card that did. But if you wanted to know for sure, I suppose you'd call your card company.

Say the counter if you have to choose one.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Definitely the counter as StCirq states due to automate machines not being able to read your card.

You will have to have the exact credit card for the agent--there won't be a problem even though your card doesn't have the chip.

You also don't have to wait until the day of your travel to pick tickets up if you have the time to go to the station and it would make you feel better (like if you were staying in Paris a week before your departure, for example)
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM

I thought if there is a strike even non-refundable tickets can be changed......why are you buying another set.....
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Klondike has it right - and I might add that you don't need to go to a station necessarily, the railway company )SNCF) has shops at some other locations around the city. I seem to remember one on an intermediate level as you descend into the bowels of the R.E.R. station adjacent to the Musée d'Orsay for example, it might still be there, and you might come across others in your gallivants. If you see the SNCF sign, go in and ask.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM

I think dac is being pro-active and choosing to change the itinerary himself in order to avoid possible strike issues. If tickets are refundable due to strike, that doesn't do you any good if you can't get somewhere when you want.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Allow a little extra time at the counters, 30 min. to be safe. I have run into some long (but fast moving ) lines