Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Butane Curling Irons: Are they allowed on flights now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so sick of wrestling with curling irons and duel voltage, adapters, etc. that I was thinking of buying a butane curling iron. But now the question, are they allow in baggage, checked in? carryon? <BR>If none of you have had any experience with this, I will call the airlines (something I would like to avoid). Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Yes, they are allowed both in your carry on and checked luggage. Just keep the butane cylinder separated from the curling iron so it won't have any chance of igniting. I'm taking mine with me tomorrow.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:35 AM

On the FAA's website prohibited items include &quot;Butane fuel such as curling iron refills, scuba tanks, propane tanks, cartridges, and self-inflating rafts.&quot;
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, that is interesting. Sojourn, I hope they don't confiscate yours. I will call Luft. and let you know what they say.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Ani

I think it depends on the airline. I am planning on taking mine overseas in a few weeks and called Air Canada...they said its ok-but to check at the gate as to what baggage to put it on. I have a feeling it will be confiscated anyway.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I've traveled with my butane curling iron for years, and brought it with me 4 times last year. At no time has anyone ever said anything - and I've flown numerous airlines.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM

By the way, if that was the case, airlines wouldn't allow passengers to travel with butane lighters. People that smoke either use lighters or matches. I haven't given up my lighter either.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I think that is the case, I don't know of any major airline that allows butane cigarette lighters on -- I think all of these highly flammable fuel things are banned if you look at the signs where you go through the baggage machines in airports. This has been the case for a long time for safety reasons, I don't think it's related to security measures regarding weapons, but I think they may be enforcing it more now just because of that. <BR><BR>I have seen some small local airlines in the Caribbean that allowed one cigarette lighter per person or something like that. If they allowed you your butane, I suspect it's just because they didn't know about it, although maybe airlines in countries other than the US have somewhat different standards on the flammability issue.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I've flown many times domestically and internationally. At no time have any of my butane lighters ever been taken. And, I've even shown them to Security. I even inquired about this at check in with the airlines, and was told that butane lighters are permissible.<BR><BR>But, feel free to leave yours at home, I will continue to take both my butane curling iron and butane lighter.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, I just called Luft. and they had not answers and referred me to the website:<BR>www.tsa.dot.gov<BR><BR>On the web site there is no mention, pro or con about butane curling irons.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM

My friend's was taken away at the gate on final checking of her carryon bag, so she looked very odd (hair wise) on most of our trip. She said she had &quot;doll hair&quot; because she couldn't do a thing with it.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:17 PM

It's my understanding the butane cylinders can be purchased in Europe. Why not take the curling part and leave the Butane part and buy it over there?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:19 PM

I checked the Transport Canada site and found this:<BR><BR>&quot;Hair curlers containing hydrocarbon gas, no more than one per person, provided that the safety cover is securely fitted over the heating element. Gas refills for such curlers must not be carried;&quot;<BR><BR>http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/dangerousgoods/regoverview/passlugg/menu.htm<BR><BR>A friend had hers (multiple refills) confiscated flying out of Toronto a couple of years ago.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:42 PM

TSA states the following: Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel) can not be checked or carried on. www.tsa.gov
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I saw that, but I didn't know if a curling iron cylinder counted as fuel, but I suppose it does. I have emailed that web site and I will see what answer they have for me.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

InWyoming, that is probably what I will do and take a dual voltage one as a back up. Here I go again with too much stuff, lol.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM

The thought of those things being on board is enough to curl your hair!<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I just flew home from Heathrow on Saturday, I had a butane curling iron in my hand luggage and extra butane cylanders in my checked luggage. No one said a word.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Any fuel is a hazzard, albeit small hazzard. Some say not to check it in because they throw the luggage. Many prohibited items don't get taken away, but this is an ethical question for you to answer.<BR><BR>Even if you get a &quot;yes&quot;, there is a chance that they will take it away from you. Some people have been arrested when arguing so use your judgement.<BR><BR>If one travels a lot, consider buying a 220V curling iron for use on overseas trips. You can buy it overseas for less, probably.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:57 PM

I am at a loss.<BR><BR>What can you not do with a good brush and a flea comb.<BR>