Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Flying on Air NZ Domestic Flights / Bags?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying into AKL on Air NZ.

I have a flight booked from AKL to CHC, also on Air NZ.

These are separate reservations.

I have time for the connection.

I am wondering if I will be allowed the same baggage on the domestic flight as the international one.

Has anyone done this?

I have heard that if international flights are on Air NZ, they will be more lenient on the domestic allowances.

Also, it is worth a try to get the AKL - CHC flight noted in the international record?

Anyone flown Air NZ internationally and flown domestic right after?

I am wondering on the carry-on more than the checked bags. The domectic carry-on limit is very low - weight wise.

Thanks for any info or advice.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM

The luggage situation is so complicated, I really think you should call Air NZ, but they do have a lot of info on their website.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/befor...in-baggage.htm

The carry on limits are low on both domestic and international flights (15lbs). Don't even think about trying to use a roller bag, they just weigh too much. And I have had Air NZ weigh the carryon and have had to repack.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 01:29 AM

Hi there,

I live in Auckland so have flown Air NZ a number of times.

As mlgb says, have a look at their website www.airnz.co.nz. The information on there is completely accurate.

I wouldn't try to take oversize luggage unless you are willing to pay excess. I haven't had my carry-on weighed, but they do tend to be quite strict on checked in luggage. Also, there isn't a huge amount of room for carryon in the overhead lockers on domestic flights here.

Hope this helps@
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've flown Air NZ internationally and domestically several times and every single time they've weighed my carry on bag. And yes, I've had to scramble to repack.

Agree with mlgb regarding the roller bags. The check in agents see them coming a mile away, and some of them exceed the limit EMPTY.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

I will err on the side of lighter rather than heavier.

It deffinately makes flying internationally and connecting locally a challenge.

I like/need to take something to read, snacks, meds, toiletries I may not be able to find (lots of allergies), mp3, camera and drinks (got at airport after security) and anything I need immediately (since checked bags do go astray).

It is hard to do that for long flights, then switch to low domestic weight limits for a connection.

However, I am well advised to travel light. I will weigh everything.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, the carry-on limits are low, but the domestic planes, in particular, are small. There is not a lot of room to stow bags.

Checked luggage restrictions, on the other hand, are more lenient. Coming from the States, we were allowed 100 lbs each of luggage and that allowance transferred to our domestic flight on Air NZ.

We didn't come close.

It's important to remember that your domestic flights in NZ are very short, so it's easier to leave some stuff in the checked bag that you might carry with you on a US flight.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Kim,

Thanks for the info.

I don't think I will be able to redo my checked bags. They will not have extra room.

I have downsized to smaller checked bags to meet the weight limits. I had the 30 inch hardside ones before.

So, I will stay within the limit for my carry-on.

Melnq8,

I do have a roller carry-on. It meets the carry-on size limits. And it saves my not great back from having to drag it everywhere I go.

There is a lot more moving of bags while travelling besides the airport. And once I get to NZ, I will be stocking it with shampoo, conditioner, soap and a load of other things (I have lots of allergies) that I will need and might not be able to find in small towns. So, I need something that I will be able to roll once it is loaded.

I am well aware that I will have to jetison whatever I don't need for the flight home - to meet the weight restrictions.

So far, rental vehicles, hotels and sidewalks do not have weight (and 3 oz tiny bottle) restrictions for carry-on bags. So I intend to enjoy these tiny freedoms while I have them.

I have two rolling carry-ons. So am going to weigh them and test drive them before I decide which one to take.

If the one I take meets size and weight limits, will I be able to take it on board?

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Choc WI,

You'll be fine with your "wheeled wonder" if it meets the size & weight restrictions.

I refuse to have any bag that doesn't have wheels these days. Well, I do have a smallish'squishy' one, but its handles hook over those of my cabin bag (with wheels/rollers) so it becomes one very easily managed unit. In these times of long queues, even that shuffling along gets tedius if you have to lift/push bags along.

Looks as if you've a super trip coming up. I hope you have a wonderful time in NZ - it's a beautiful place.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Bokhara2,

Thanks, I am getting excited (and a little frantic trying to get every detail organized).
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I never travel without my wheeled carry on either, but I've always had to check it on when flying Air NZ. It's within the size limits, but it gets heavy in a hurry.

Checking it on only presents a problem when I need the items in my carry on for an overnight in transit; when I won't have access to my checked luggage which has been checked through to my final destination.

This probably isn't an issue you'll have to deal with.

I also routinely gate check my wheeled carry on during certain commuter flights (small jets) within the US, because their overhead space is extremely limited.

If your bag is within the size and weight limits, you'll be fine, but expect your wheeled carry on to be weighed.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM

I did the same except to Queenstown.
Would have booked as a total ticket to save money if I had my act together when I booked the original ticket from the US.
I will be traveling with a backpack and had concerns about weight and size. I will not be over the international weight limit but might be close to the domestic. I called Air New Zealand and the fellow put a note on my record on both flights and said I would have no problems. Hope it goes as smoothly as he made me believe.