Bus Spello to Assisi

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus Spello to Assisi

Travelling in October

Believed that it would be better to take the bus Spello to Assisi because the bus takes you to the centre of town ( as opposed to catching a bus from the train station)

However looking at the umbriamobilita.it website I can't see convenient times that would work for a day trip. eg arriving Assisi at 8: 15am is a bit early and 1:40pm is a bit late.

Am I missing something or misreading?

Also if someone is able to confirm the names of the bus stops in Spello I would really appreciate it.

If it doesn't work I know I can catch a train, I just thought bus would be more direct.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
GAC

These are the schedules:

http://www.umbriamobilita.it/public/...rnale/E415.pdf

The reason you're seeing such limited bus service is that buses are geared to commuters and students, not tourists! Hence, you see buses in the early morning, mid-day (when schools get out), and early evening.

The bus stop in Spello is usually along the main road out of town (Viale Umbra), near the public gardens (but not as far out as the train station). You'll need to ask the bus driver or the locals/residents/shop owners for the stop closest to the main gate of town. When I was there last, it was a bit confusing until I inquired.

In Assisi, the bus goes to Piazza Matteotti, at the top of the town (opposite end of town from the Basilica of St. Francis).

You are correct that the bus is more convenient than the train (especially when arriving at/departing from Assisi).
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GAC

Once again very useful tips.

I guessed that the timetable was geared for students and commuters but was hopeful that maybe I didnt recognize the names of the bus stops for Spello.

Maybe train will be more convenient after all for a day trip seeing as we will only have time to make one trip (our frst) to Assisi.