Bus Mont Saint Michele

Jul 30th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Bus Mont Saint Michele

We are trying to get from Tours to Mont Saint Michele, stay two nights, and then go from Mont to Paris. Is there a way to reserve a bus seat? Does our rail pass give us a discount? We have tried the web site www.lescourriersbretons.com and emailed them to no avail. Also emailed the tourism office at Mont and still they send us to the bus company site. Also tried the Rail Europe and SNCF web sites. HELP. Slow to get it!
Jul 30th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I dont know about the bus, but I am wondering why 2 nights on the Mont. There really isnt a lot to see (just the abbey and the one town road) which you could easily to in under a full day...staying overnight is good to get up early and see the abbey and see it at night without the crowds, but in my opionion there is no need for an additional night as its expensive, accomodations are poor value and the food isnt great.
Jul 30th, 2008, 06:07 AM

trip2008,

I second what jamikins said about 2 nights being one too many. Also agree the food is not great and the crowds insufferable.

We took the bus from the local train station to MSM and no reservation was necessary although it runs very infrequently albeit around the train schedule (also infrequent). Sorry I can't help with the route from Tours to MSM as we were coming from Bayeux (sp?)...

gruezi

Jul 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM

While I loved Mont St. Michel, I agree with the others that you don't need to spend two nights there. The only shops are tourist outlets and there is very little to see on the Mont itself.

We arrived around 5 in the evening as all the tour buses were leaving. We walked to all accessible areas of the Mont, toured the Abbey (can't recall if we did that in the evening or the next morning), spent the night and then left the next day as the crowds were getting thick.

Your second night would be better spent in Paris or Normandy, in my opinion.

Have a good trip!

http://weaselsjourney.blogspot.com
Jul 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM

At least you got the URL of the bus. You can't reserve that bus, but you know it only goes to/from Rennes and the Mont, not to/from Tours. It's a private bus, your railpass won't give you any discount (that's an educated guess, it is rare that would happen, but you'll have to check your pass terms). It's not very expensive, anyway. Can you read the schedule? It goes Mon-Sat at 9:30, daily at 11:30, and Sunday also at 12:30. The return (MSM to Rennes) is 14:30-15:50 and 17:15-18:45. There is another return at 9:30 am-10:50 am, which I guess you might use if you are staying overnight.

So you have to take a train from Tours to Rennes. SNCF will show you schedules, but basically it takes around 2:30 hours and involves a change at LeMans at the best situation. I suppose you'll want to get there to make the 11:30 bus to MSM, so there is one train I see around 8 am, arrive 10:30 am at Rennes so you can make the 11:30 bus, but it might depends on your day and date of travel, of course.

YOu might check to see if there is some bus company doing tours from Tours (ha ha), as that is a complicated schedule and you are wasting a lot of time probably due to the bus schedules. You can also get a bus from another place, not just Rennes. That would be Pontorson. I don't have the URL for that bus handy, but it's not that far and you could take a taxi from there and thus not fool with these bus schedules. But then you'd have to transfer trains at Rennes, anyway, probably. But you might have more schedule options that way.

There is a decent train from Tours to Pontorson with only one change in Caen on Saturdays, but not other days that I can see -- that is 9:47 am and finally gets in Pontorson at 16:18. This is a long trip, but that one really only has about an hour layover in Caen. It's the same bus company that has buses between Pontorson and MSM and Rennes -- Courriers Bretons. YOu can see the to/from Pontorson schedules on that website if you look in the "St Malo" route.
Jul 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM

The buses to Mont St Michel are shown in railway timetables, so the connections appear on www.bahn.de.
Most mainline trains stop at St Pierre des Corps and not Tours. The local train takes five minutes from Tours to St Pierre des Corps. St Pierre des Corps is a suburb of Tours and, if you're getting a bus or taxi to Tours station, it may be easier to go to St Pierre des Corps.
Jul 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Christina has nailed it and Geoff too - just to add to confirm that there is no railpass discount or fares on the Rennes station to MSM bus - fare is about 10-12 euros one way i think.

Search this Thread