Mont St-Michel from Paris question

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Tim Stark

Mont St-Michel from Paris question

Hello,

What is the most efficient way of travelling from Paris to Mt St-Michel via train...or is it not truly an option and a bus/car the only way to go as a day trip from Paris? In other words, how close will my Eurail get me to Mt. St-Michel?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Daniel

The nearest railway station to Mont St-Michel is Pontorson, 4 miles/6 km inland. I´m not sure if it´s possible on a daytrip, unless you take TGV from Paris Montparnasse 7.05 to Rennes 9.11. Bus from the station 9.45 to Mont St-Michel 11.00, according to Thomas Cook Timetable. Return 16.45. These times may change from June 16. I have no idea how much you have to pay for the bus.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Fred

Take the train (TGV is preferable) to Rennes (from Gare Montparnesse). At Rennes you must switch trains and head to Pontorson (about 50 minutes). At Pontorson you catch a bus to Mont San Michel (about 10 minutes). You must carry your own luggage from bus to hotel, so have wheeled or light luggage! All said, if your timing is right, it will take you about 4 hours to get to Mont San Michel from Paris via train.
I wasn't particularly impressed with Mont St Michel - I thought it was great to see from the road but once in it it wasn't much more than gift shop after gift shop. But again, others really like it. The people who like it best are those who stay overnight. You can get information by contacting:
Le Mont Saint Michel Office de Tourisme
51116 Le Mont Saint Michel
France
Tel: 011-33-2-33-60-14-30
Fax: 011-33-2-33-60-06-75
For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:25 AM
SKY

THANKS FOR THE QUESTION AND THE REPLIES!!!

I had been searching and searching for this information on the internet until I found this place.

Thanks again.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Christina

Actually, although you can do it from Pontorson, I think it is easier to just take the bus from Rennes -- there are some. In fact, I think it may be the same bus line (Pontorson is a stop to/from Mont SM from Rennes) and so transferring to Pontorson doesn't save you any time and is just an extra trouble and expense. The bus is Courriers Breton, I believe, and costs 15 euro RT from Rennes. There might be some other bus from Pontorson, also, but I know there's one from Rennes. If the schedule were quicker, you could probably take the train to Pontorson and then just a taxi, as it isn't that far from there. It's a rushed day trip, but you can do it; due to the bus schedule, I think you have about 3-4 hours there.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:39 AM
greg

If you want to get as close as possible to Mont St Michel using Eurial, you go to Pontorson as others indicated. The bus from Pontorson to Mont St Michel is coordinated with departure and arrivals of trains, so there is guaranteed to be a bus waiting for you at Pontorson and bus returning to Pontorson in time for the train. There was a taxi calling phone at station (in July) and there were folks waiting there, but the bus left the station earlier so we were glad we took the bus. It was really cheap to Mont St Michel.

Now for some reason, I cannot look up train connection of 6/10 but not next week. The Rennes-Pontorson section is not always coordinated well with Paris Rennes section, so you might only have a choice of taking a bus from Rennes.

We stayed overnight on Mont. As Fred said, if we only stayed during the day, we would have had the same opinion the place. The place was wonderful after hours and in the morning before the tourists arrive, deserted streets, walking along walls with wispers afar, beautiful flood lit abbey above you, and a beautiful sunset. The list goes on.