To Normandy from Belgium WITHOUT a car

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Normandy from Belgium WITHOUT a car

I am planning to visit Bruges and Ghent this Winter (yes, I know it will be freeezing), and wanted to take a sidetrip to Normandy, specifically Mont St. Michel. I have read that getting to MSM without a car is not easy...is it do-able? If so, how? I really don't think I could spend the $$ for a car. Does anyone know of a decent bus service to MSM from a major city in Normandy with good train connections?
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:54 PM

I almost think that by the time you pay the different train fees coupled with the bus fares(not to mention your time) it would be almost worth a rental car for two days to do it.Its been two years since I went to MSM(and we rented a car at CDG and started up in Honfleur) but somehow I remember that you had to go into Paris to catch the train back out to Bayeaux to get the bus service-correct me if I am wrong? Our family was wearing their winter coats when we visited the first week of April to MSM so dress VERY warm.Personally,I think that it is two different trips or possibly a stopover in Paris as the connection.MSM and Normandy are well worth a week's vacation for all to see. Good Luck!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:06 AM

There are buses to Mont St Michel but they are not frequent. I've done it from St-Malo, though that isn't the nearest station. From Belgium, you'd need to go via Paris and Rennes, both journeys on high speed trains; in Paris, you need to get the metro between Gare du Nord and Gare Montparnasse. St-Malo is a good place to stay as there are lots of hotels and good restaurants open all year; the train journey from Paris takes about three hours, changing at Rennes, but you'd need to check the bus schedules for Mont St Michel.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:11 AM

The quickest way by rail is to go to Paris and then out to Rennes via TGV train - there are a few daily buses that meet trains at Rennes that go right to the Mount. And there is a few trains a day to Pontorson, six miles from the Mount from both Rennes and Bayeux. So you could rail Paris-Bayeux then train to Pontorson but check schedules on www.sncf/voyages.com web site and Bayeux-Pontorson-Rennes trains are a few a day at best. Don't know of any buses Bayeux-Mont St. Michel except tour buses and min-buses during the tourist season. Best route in Paris-Rennes then bus - can even do this as a day trip from Paris, if you leave early in the morning.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your helpful advice. Since I will be flying into Paris, it seems like it would make sense to train it Rennes then bus it to the Mont. Does anyone know if there are trains from Rennes to Belgium? Or would I have to go back through Paris?