3N in Brecon without a car

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3N in Brecon without a car

I will be in Wales without a car. I have 3N in Cardiff area fully planned on bus and train, but am struggling a bit with the next three nights based in Brecon.

(Note that I love travel by train and bus, looking out the window while letting the conversations around me wash over me).

On Wednesday I will take the T4 or T14 local bus from Cardiff to Brecon via Merthyr Tydfil; about 2hours unless I stop In MT to explore (challenging with a rollaboard and a daypack). I will arrive in Brecon mid afternoon, check in to my guest house in the center of town, and explore.

On Thursday I will take the bus to Hay on Wye (about 40min), look around for an hour or two, and then continue by bus to Hereford (about an hour) to look around for 3-4 hours. Then a late afternoon/early evening bus back to Brecon.

On Friday I can:
a). Take the bus to Abergavenny and Crickhowell and explore, though this will hardly fill a day,or
b). Take a 1 hour bus to Llandridod Wells, and then joyride the Heart of Wales train to Swansea and back, and returnto Brecon by bus. This could be beautiful, but I have qualms about 2 hours by bus on top of a lovely but long train ride
c) visit the Big Pit, which as the crow flies is not far from Brecon but I have not figured out to get there in a reasonable fashion by public transport. HELP!!
d) get a bus to Breacon Beacons NP visitor center and walk... if I can find a bus and the weather holds...
e) other?

On Saturday I will return to London, most likely by bus to Abergavenny and then train. Unless someone has a more creative suggestion....

so, advice/help for Friday?thanks!

Last edited by Meredydd; Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 03:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd do d myself. It is such a gorgeous are for walking/hiking.

You can get to Big Pit if you take a train to Abergavenny and bus from there to Cwmbran and then another bus to the site.

But I'd still do 'd'
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes, (d) is my inclination if the weather cooperates! However, I would like to have an alternative up my sleeve if there is strong rain.

i found the same route to the Big Pit; it is rather cumbersome.
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 02:08 PM
ESW

Don't bother to stop in Merthyr Tydfilon the Wednesday.

If you decide on the Abergavenny and Crickhowell option on the Friday, also consider visiting Tretower Court and Castle which is on the way to Crickhowell. Bus route X43, Brecon–Abergavenny, stops 400m away on the A40.